Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Broadband signal loss alarm?

This is the forum to discuss tech-software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Broadband signal loss alarm?

Postby ntscuser » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:47 pm

I'm running a server from home. It is connected via a regular ADSL external modem. There are no other PCs connected to it. My service provider has had a lot of technical problems lately causing the broadband signal to be lost for an average of thirty mins at a time. This is not a big problem if I'm aware of it as I can quickly reconnect manually as soon as the signal is restored. If however I'm not aware of the signal loss because I'm in another room or asleep, it can be several hours before I notice and am able to reconnect. In the meantime no one is able to access my websites.

I have set Windows (XP Home) to redial at ten minute intervals for as long as I'm likely to not be available but I don't entirely trust it.

Is there any such thing as an audible alarm which could alert me to the fact that the broadband signal has been lost? I've googled for this using every combination of search terms I can think of and so far come up blank.
ntscuser

Re: Broadband signal loss alarm?

Postby MrFredPFL » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:29 pm

have you looked at DU Meter? i am not sure if this is something it will cover or not.
MrFredPFL

Postby ntscuser » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:50 pm

MrFredPFL wrote:have you looked at DU Meter? i am not sure if this is something it will cover or not.
Thanks Fred. I've looked into it very carefully and it appears to do everything except the one thing I need it to do? :(
(I could be wrong though)
ntscuser

Postby sunnyd » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:07 pm

I run DU Meter on 2 pcs, no it does not have that type of alarm. It will play sound when x number of bytes were downloaded in x amount of seconds, and it will play sound when x amount of mb were downloaded or uploaded in a month, but there is no option for internet disconnect.

I just did some research nts, and I found a few programs, but so far there is not enough detail to cover whether or not it plays audible sound for internet disconnect, but some of these have alerts for numerous other things. One is PC Alarm, another is Rasputin, etc., but not enough info that I can see so far, and 2 others that I found were not freeware, nor did they mention exactly what you are looking for.

Lol, if I am linked to someone with my server, and it delinks, there is a LOUD alert that would wake up my neighbors if the speakers were on high. Surely there has to be something out there for you like that. I will keep researching for you, or maybe someone else will know of a program to use for that. Lol, call your isp, see if they have one. :wink:
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Postby ntscuser » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:24 pm

Thanks SunnyD :thumbup:
ntscuser

Postby sunnyd » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:21 pm

Yw :)
I use Sax2 on my server, (the free version), and I don't see any option for sound, but try this link,
http://www.ids-sax2.com/SaxIDS.htm and you could contact them to see if they have audible alerts in the pro/full version.

Another one I found that you could try to contact is PingPlotter http://www.pingplotter.com/pro/ (pro version). Maybe their full version offers audible alerts.

Sax2 is developing and updating all the time, so perhaps they would welcome suggestions if they do not currently have a a desired option. It may be worth a try to contact these two and ask. :shrug:

Edit: My bad, I forgot to give you the link for PingPlotter standard, here is that one: http://www.pingplotter.com/standard.html
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Postby ejonesss » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:38 am

there is a couple ways you could do.

1. if your adsl modem is your own (not rental) you could wire the dsl status light to some kind of transistorized driver to then set off an alarm or even to a relay that triggers the reset switch in the modem.

2. if you connect the modem directly to the pc it may be possible that you will get the famous cable disconnect warning on screen so if you know some programming you could then have the pc beep or something or even then build something electronic to trigger the reset button on the modem or using a relay to disconnect the line and re connect it.

my guess for the failure is

1. your isp does not like servers running on residental accounts and is cutting you off to stop the server ( to rule that out take the web server offline and watch if the modem acts up again).

2. your isp could be upgrading to a new system that uses a weaker signal so they have turned down the signal and your modem can no longer lock onto the signal ( i should know my cable isp did the same thing when changing from the motorola beige modems to the motorola black modems the beige modems would randomly drop out because the black ones can use a signal that does not need to be so strong so my isp turned the signal down to the minimum that beige modem can work) .

you can rule that out by if the modem goes offline only when downloading full stream for example downloading a movie or something via torrent it should go solid for a few megs and then stop working.

i should know because that is what happened to me and i was pulling my hair out and calling the cable co having them down several times to replace the cable to the house,replacing the pole amplifier and eventually they replaced the modem and i stopped losing the signal.
…-..-..-..-..-.-----.-…-..-…-..-…-...
ejonesss

Postby ntscuser » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:06 am

The exchange is in the process of being upgraded to ADSL2+. Most of the downtime was planned and limited to early morning hours. Some of it was at midday and probably unplanned. A nearby town lost their service (from the same group of companies) for several days last week. I don't think the ISP has a problem with my server usage as it amounts to only about 10MB of data transfer a month.

I'm afraid my DIY skills are non-existent these days but I wouldn't mind buying an external router if that included a loss-of-signal alarm of some kind.
ntscuser

Postby HalOfBorg » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:12 am

No matter how little traffic your server is using, don't mention it to them. It's probably not allowed in the TOS.

Just stick with "my internet connection".

Like back when I had dialup, I learned early not to mention internet when I thought I had line trouble. "Noisy phone, disconnected calls....."
Help HalOfBorg fight his cancer: http://www.gofundme.com/21ygdk

We are The Borg.
Lower your weapons. Disarm your explosives.
Your spawn will adapt to service Us.
Resistance is futile.
HalOfBorg

Postby ntscuser » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:43 pm

Thanks for the advice Hal. I was thinking of taking the server offline for just a minute each midnight so as to make it look as it was not running continuously.

The new settings in Win XP seem to be working? The line was cut for a few minutes at 4.00am this morning but the server managed to reconnect by itself shortly aftwrwards :D
ntscuser

Return to Tech/Software Discussion