Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

How to safely remove skin tags?

This is the forum to discuss tech-software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

How to safely remove skin tags?

Postby midnightsun » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:38 pm

I have a skin tag growing just inside my nostril, and want to know if there is a home remedy to remove it?
Last edited by midnightsun on Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
midnightsun

Re: Problems with Windows XP update, SP3, & Antivirus software?

Postby sunnyd » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:51 pm

The file you mention is normally located in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\. It is a MS Remote Access serial network driver. My guess would be that it reported as a false/positive with your AV scan. You could try restoring it from quarantine, see if then you are able to get your updates. Try going to MS update, not windows updates.

http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

If you can get there, choose custom, as you will only be able to do so many at once, restart, do more, etc.

I would also suggest that you restore (temporarily) any system files from quarantine, and use an alternate program to scan them such as MalwareBytes. It is very possible that another program can clean them, if they are infected, without having them all be quarantined.

Edit: You can uninstall SP3 with these instructions, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249 however, with missing system files in quarantine, I believe you will create registry errors/problems trying to uninstall it, until the files are back where they need to be, and then see where you stand with trying to get the updates.
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Re: Problems with Windows XP update, SP3, & Antivirus software?

Postby thejynxed » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:55 am

midnightsun wrote:I am using Windows XP with Service Pack 3 in a Dell computer.

Tonight F-Prot antivirus software removed several files and quarantined several other files that were infected with a virus. In the F-Prot quarantined file list, it the following file was quarantined twice today: "asyncmac.sys."
1) What does asyncmac.sys do and is it critical for Windows' XP stability?

After F-Prot removed or quarantined several files, a window appeared stating that I need to put the Service Pack 3 cd in the cd drive to replace certain files that were removed or quarantined. And, if I didn't do it, Windows might become unstable.
2) Is there a way to determine if Windows XP is now unstable - that is, determine Windows stability before it potentially crashes?

Since I do not have a Service Pack 3 cd, I couldn't follow the above instructions to use a service Pack 3 cd to replace the files that were quarantined or removed by F-Prot. So, I then thought about trying to reinstall Service Pack 3. To reinstall Service Pack 3, I clicked on the Windows Update icon which took me to a window in Internet Explorer 7 that stated, "Files required to use Microsoft Update are no longer registered or installed on your computer." So I chose, "Register and reinstall the files for me now," in that Window. When I then clicked on the "Continue" button, that same window just kept reappearing and I could get beyond it to a page that would allow me to update Windows XP or download Service Pack 3.
3) How do I fix that Windows update page so the required files for Microsoft update are installed on my computer?

4) How do I download Windows Service Pack 3?

5) Given the problems mentioned above, should I reinstall Windows Service Pack 3?

Thanks.

asyncmac.sys is, unfortunately, a legitimate file AND the name of a trojan file, since those douchenugget blackhats like copying the name of Windows system files in an attempt to fool users, AV scanners, and Windows itself. The issue in question has happened with F-Prot a few times before, and has almost always been a false positive on their end. You can read one such thread here.

Here is where you can get SP3: XP SP3 Stand-Alone Installer.
"FlickR is supposed to be weird, fun, experimental, way out-there -- oh no, wait, now that it's so close to being part of Microsoft, FlickR's supposed to bore people to death and empty their pockets while pretending to innovate." - Bruce Sterling
thejynxed

Return to Tech/Software Discussion