Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Vista 64 to windows 7 advice

This is the forum to discuss tech-software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Vista 64 to windows 7 advice

Postby Captain America » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:08 am

Right now I am currently running Vista 64 Home Premium and am thinking about upgrading to windows 7 (using the new oem dvd). From what I read, it sounds like I can not just do a system upgrade from Home Premium to Windows 7 (I have to do a whole format/clean install). However, I wish to avoid formatting at all costs. So does anyone know for sure if I can just do asystem upgrade while keeping everything intact or is a format needed?

If a format is needed, then I will try to go theo m dualboot route. I currently have 2 internal 500gig hds and would like to install windows 7 on my 2nd internal (again without formatting)

What do you think would be best for me to do. If anyone is wondering here are my sys specs.

Intel i7 @ 2.7ghz
6gigs sd3 ram
2 internal 500gig
3 external ranging from 150-500gig (roughly 1.5tb total)
Geforce GTX 260 core 216*
dolby 7.1 surround xfi xtreme gamer (5.1 speakers though)
acer 24inch
My Machine:Intel I7 @ 2.7ghz| MSI X58 Platinum SLI Socket 1366 ATX Motherboard MS-7522| 2x Hitachi 500gig internal| Geforce gtx 260 core 216|SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio 7.1 2x| dvd lightscribe|Vista 64bit
Captain America

Re: Vista 64 to windows 7 advice

Postby sunnyd » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:36 am

Everything so far indicates there will be both versions, 32 bit, and 64 bit, and so far I have not heard of anyone having to do a format.

I found this in one article, but there are several out there: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10274963-56.html

If you are moving from Windows Vista to the same or higher version of Windows 7 and not changing from 32-bit to 64-bit, you can do what is known as an upgrade-in-place, which transfers your existing set-up to Windows 7, preserving all your settings and favorites.

and this one: http://www.mercurynews.com/peninsula/ci_12994518

The most confusing aspect of Windows 7 is the number of versions out there. Microsoft is releasing a Starter version, Home Premium, Professional, and Ultimate — as well as versions for PC makers (OEM) and large enterprises. There are both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Re: Vista 64 to windows 7 advice

Postby Paladwyn » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:27 pm

To be honest...the upgrades to the next version are generally not recommended, due to just taking your problems from one machine to the next - and not to mention the new problems that could arise from it.

Just something to keep in mind, but I am sure like sunnyd said, it can be done if you aren't crossing the 32bit/64bit barrier.

I just pushed Win7 on, trying it out on my machine. I merely copied my user folder across the network to my server, was only 50GB of stuff, and most of that is garbage I will end up deleting. Then I reinstalled and will copy it all back, deleting stuff I don't need. However, I made my gaming machine to be just that - gaming, so I keep it pretty slim, with just games installed. All my downloading and important info is on the server.
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Return to Tech/Software Discussion