Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

A few quick XP questions....

This is the forum to discuss tech-software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

A few quick XP questions....

Postby shooey » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:22 am

Hi,

If anyone has any ideas on the following, it'd be much appreciated.

I currently have 1 hard drive with 2 partitions, c: is XP and d: is 2000. 2000 is currently my main OS and I don't want to lose this, but am thinking of moving onto XP as my main OS, but because it's had loads of stuff installed and uninstalled and is a bit messed up, I'd like to do a fresh install of XP but carry on with 2000 until I'm ready to switch. So...

1) if I make a floppy boot disk which will allow me to get into 2000 (just in case), then format c: and reinstall XP on c:, can anyone foresee any problems with that, in terms of still be able to get into 2000?

2) What's the best way to go about re-installing XP. I have a license key, but would like to do the cleanest install possible. Is XP + SP3 the best way to go, and is it possible to get a CD which will just give me XP + SP3 without having to do loads of updates once I've installed the OS?

Thanks
shooey

Re: A few quick XP questions....

Postby Paladwyn » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:29 am

1. I can't really see any foreseeable problems with it. That is if you know how to set up your dual boot. Just before the OS loads, you will able able to select which OS you want, you can even edit this feature directly in XP using MSCONFIG (something win2000 did not have).

2. I have never had any issues with installing the OS then doing the upgrades to SP3 or any SP for that matter, I don't think you will hit any issues there. If you already have a key for it, I suggest just going that route, unless you feel like waiting for MS to deliver you a new Windows CD with SP3...and possibly need to get a new key for it.
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Re: A few quick XP questions....

Postby shooey » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:49 am

Cheers
shooey

Return to Tech/Software Discussion