Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

undoing a partition

This is the forum to discuss tech-software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

undoing a partition

Postby dougie1 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:47 am

hello, today i tried to install a copy of ubuntu linux on pc running vista.....from a disc which came with magazine computer active....followed computer mag instructions..first step was to create a partition of 5 gb for this bloody linux thing.....did so after a fashion ,but only succeeded in reducing my hard drive from 62 gb to 27.45 gb....and no sign anywhere of the partition drive...linux didnt install anyway but im not bothered about that now, my aim is to undo this partition ive made (wherever it is) and reclaim my original 62 gb of space..i ran windows restore,which didnt change anything.....do i need to reinstall windows or is there a simpler way?
dougie1

Re: undoing a partition

Postby povinho » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:20 am

without knowing exaclty what you did, I would probably suggest u put back the linux distro dvd into the drive and follow the steps as if you were going to intall it (just like you did before).

once you get to the partitions settings, delete or unasign the linux partition you have just created.
reboot it, assuming you can still go into window.

right click 'my computer' select 'manage' get to the disk and create/format the new partition has ntfs or fat32.
(Windows usually does not understand different types of filesystems, thus would not detect that partition).

This is just to serve as an example, you may wish to do other, things, ie put the 5gb of hd space back into an existing partition. - perhaps the best way to do this, is to get a copy of partition manager or acronis, or .....

hope this helps

(can't fully remember all the steps, it's been that long......)
povinho

Return to Tech/Software Discussion