Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Automatic audio glitch detection?

This is the forum to discuss tech-software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Automatic audio glitch detection?

Postby neonsquid » Wed May 27, 2009 7:00 am

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to ask this question, if it's not then I apologize in advance.

So, I have a very large digital music library and I was wondering if there was some sort of program that could scan audio tracks and detect if they have audio glitches or skipping issues, and so on.

Surely there must be some sort of program that can flag potentially glitch filled audio files? I ask because I noticed when using Winamp to listen to music, there is a little red box at the top left corner of the player that lights up a moment or so before an audio glitch happens(if the song has one, that is). So, this lead me to believe that it is possible for a program to detect an audio glitch, and since my library is far too large to go through by hand (well, I could I suppose but it would take a very long time) I was wondering if anyone knows of a program I could obtain to check my library for glitches.

Anyone know of anything like that?
neonsquid

Re: Automatic audio glitch detection?

Postby n9xph » Wed May 27, 2009 8:38 am

I would suggest you try MP3 Checker available at free-codecs.com

:D
n9xph

Postby MrFredPFL » Wed May 27, 2009 9:50 am

interesting. could you be a bit more specific about what you are calling glitches? i use winamp also, and i've certainly had some files with nonsense in them that didn't belong, but i have never noticed winamp lighting up a red box. what version of winamp do you use? could you post a screenshot of it with the red box?

ps: i'd say this is the right forum for this thread :)
MrFredPFL

Postby neonsquid » Wed May 27, 2009 7:45 pm

Thanks n9xph, I'll check out MP3 checker.

MrFredPFL, I've got version 5.552 I believe, but I still use the classic skin on it so it has the same look it always has. I'd rather not post a picture of the tiny red box, because it is minuscule in stature (and I'd have to make an account of imageshack or some crap like that).

Basically, up at the top left, Winamp has a counter that shows you how far you are into the song that's playing. Directly to the left of that it has a triangle, signifying that you are playing a song (assuming you are playing a song). Directly to the left of that there are 2 tiny squares... 1 green (it's lit up when the song is playing and working fine) and directly below it 1 red (which seems to light up when the song encounters a glitch, or something along those lines).

Also, by glitch I mean an audio anomaly... Either, the song skips just like a scratched CD, or, there is some sort of high pitched blip, or error, from a corrupt file or digital compression or something like that.
neonsquid

Return to Tech/Software Discussion