Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

linux

This is the forum to discuss tech-software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

linux

Postby dougie1 » Tue May 12, 2009 9:31 am

Ive been told that Linux is far better than windows etc....if i install it ,is it as likely as not going to mess things up on my pc? can i have both linux and my present system in place....is it worthwhile anyway?..plus looking through dload options ive allready found redhat linux.....debian linux and no doubt there are more....which one?
dougie1

Re: linux

Postby Fartingbob » Tue May 12, 2009 4:29 pm

Linux isnt better than windows. Its different. What do you use your PC for? If you like gaming, or having a huge choice of programs for anything you could think of then windows is best. If you mainly use your pc for internet access, media and simple tasks linux is just as good (id argue its not better though).
Also, you should research and see if the version of linux you choose has drivers for your hardware (wireless internet, printers, sound cards and other USB peripherals like phones etc), because usually its a right pain in the ass to setup if there isnt linux specific drivers offered by the manufacturer or preloaded into the distro.

Personally i would say for most people who already have windows and are happy with it its not worth the hassle. If your buying a prebuilt PC (or laptop/netbook) that has an option for linux preinstalled then go for it. You can duel boot quite easily with linux and windows.

As for which distro, ubuntu is generally considered the easiest for a linux beginner to get to grips with it, but everyone has their own opinion on that. If you can get the internet setup straight away after installing then it makes life easier as most distro's will automatically search for updates to programs and drivers, or you can get help on various linux forums.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Return to Tech/Software Discussion