Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

encode 360

This is the forum to discuss tech-software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

encode 360

Postby dougie1 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:15 pm

Downloaded several movies..when played i just get a screen of interference with message update media naming encode360 as the codec i need....ive tried dloading it but having difficulty ,i dloaded wat i thought was 360 but recieved a virus warning regarding a trojan sdloader or something....where do i go to get tthis encode 360?
dougie1

Re: encode 360

Postby MrFredPFL » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:25 pm

codecs are a popular source for virii/malware. i don't know anything about this particular codec - but my opinion is that unless there's a very compelling reason to not do so, i would nuke those movies and download them again from a different source. you should never need an exotic unknown codec. if you do, chances are someone is out to screw you.

as a general rule of thumb, i'd say: use VLC, and if VLC won't play it, run away.
MrFredPFL

Postby dougie1 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:34 pm

ok thanks..its probabley the wisest course of action.
dougie1

Postby Mcdon2401 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:11 pm

I'd guess that if it isn't included in something like the K-Lite codec pack, it's probably gonna be trouble, and as said above, if VLC won't play it either, then probably best not to bother.
It's only funny until someone gets hurt,

Then it's bloody hilarious :)

It is the mark of an educated mind, to entertain a thought without being seduced by it.
Mcdon2401

Postby Zoot Cadillac » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:59 pm

Encode 360 is a discontinued encoder for the WMV format. The reason I think people are still using it is so that they can watch these films on an xbox.
I'd suggest, without being sure, that your media player is trying to download the codec from an official site that no longer carries it.

Unless you specifically wish to view movies on an xbox through a network ( something I have just set up and is quite usefull to show films in the TV room without them leaving my main PCs drive ) then there is no reason to download any film in a windows media format and you should stick with the xvid/divx formats for the avi container or better still get the H/X264 formats for high definition films and play them in VLC or media player classic ( not to be confused with windows media player ).
Zoot Cadillac

Postby dougie1 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:50 am

Well thanks for your replys.....in reply to the last poster, I can only say that it WAS an xvid file.or it said it was....the seperate sample file played fine (10 mb) but the main one (700mb) was just a mess of interference with that encode 360 message....anyhow ive taken the advice its now been disposed of, as there was no mention of the xbox issue in the nfo file ,why would someone upload it? And i hope the groups arent now gonna be flooded with this kind of thing......Im hoping i havent dloaded a virus with it..no sign yet ..im keeping my fingers crosses..thanks everyone
dougie1

Postby Bobdrakke » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:26 pm

Well I say if not vlc try kmplayer plays one or two formats vlc doesn't with out codec or progam to be installed like .mov format.
Bobdrakke

Return to Tech/Software Discussion