Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

best OS

This is the forum to discuss tech-software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

best OS

Postby Monalisa » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:14 am

In your views which OS is best to use and why?

1. Linux
2. Windows
3. I don't know

Post your reply with relavant reasons here.
Monalisa

Re: best OS

Postby povinho » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:56 am

That will depend on what you want it to do, and also your knowledge of the os.

i.e. - if it is for gaming then, arguably windows will be better. on the other hand, since windows platform has a lot more users, it is prone for a lot more exploits than Linux.
povinho

Postby SlyckTom » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:14 am

4) Mac OS?
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Postby Paladwyn » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:05 am

To be totally honest - At this current time, Windows XP would probably be the best OS.

It is a good stable OS, with huge advances in security able to run almost any program that you may need to use, and can run on macines that are up to 8 years old (give or take). With piles of free software available, as well as good ones that aren't free, you can pretty much handle any task without needing to dual boot or run emulators.

As much as I am a Vista fan, it just isn't able to support older machines as of yet - ask me again in 5 years and my answer will change.
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Postby Fartingbob » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:08 am

SlyckTom wrote:4) Mac OS?

Pfft, everyone knows only sheep use OSX! :lol:

IMO the best OS is vista, because thats what i use. I used XP for years and i prefer Vista. Ive tried to love linux, but its just frustrating and has no real benefits for me personally.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby xforce » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:15 am

it depends on what you are doing, linux is good for servers its command line is easier than its GUI (hard to believe but yes), Windows sucks at its servers but its good for Desktop (home) computers.
xforce the pirate.
xforce

Postby SlyckTom » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:16 am

heh...I'm not saying it is, I'm just laying out the option
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Postby Paladwyn » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:18 am

I was going with a general overall use. Of course, if you wanted to get specific, there are better tools for the jobs... However, if I was going to rate OS's for just overall use, XP would probably get the highest mark.
Paladwyn

Postby zbeast » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:36 am

It's what you want to do with the os and the computer.
My servers all run linux.
My desktops run windows xp... an maybe in the future windows 7.
My portables run Mac OS and windows xp.

It's not about which os is better it's all about what you want to do with a given os..

1) linux is more stable in a server environment ..
2) Mac os is more user friendly but has a high cost because of the mac hardware is expensive.
3) Windows is a good general os.. as well if your good you never have to buy a copy and it runs on cheap hardware.

4) Vista is not cheap, it's hard to get for free (activation) does not run well on cheap hardware
and so is not even being considered.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.
zbeast

Postby Allflame » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:26 am

I use Windows XP, it corresponds all my needs.
Mac is more for entertainment and has great visual effects, but Windows is still more usual for me.
Allflame

Postby stevhorn » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:07 am

Two months ago I would have said XP, but I've been using Windows 7 64 Bit Beta, and now RC1 and I'm really liking it alot. It's very sable and runs every piece of software I throw it. I've had no trouble with drivers either. It even detected my Asus wireless USB network adapter which I couldn't get working with either XP or Vista!
stevhorn

Postby Mcdon2401 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:43 am

For stability, I liked using Ubuntu. When my old laptop went down (terminal hard drive problems) I used a liveCD on Ubuntu that ran for weeks at a time in memory, with no problems. OK, it was mostly for surfing and OpenOffice use, but it worked brilliantly, the extra apps. were reliable and easy to install, and even the games weren't too bad :)

Having been brought up the MS route from way back in the DOS days (technically, you can't count Spectrum Basic as training) XP was probably the best for general use and backwards compatibility (after the first SP was released). For me, XP and Vista have been the most stable versions I've used. Win ME, and 95 were probably the worst. 98 was fantastic at the time, but XP blew it away IMHO.
It's only funny until someone gets hurt,

Then it's bloody hilarious :)

It is the mark of an educated mind, to entertain a thought without being seduced by it.
Mcdon2401

Postby Gausseliminator » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:11 am

1. Ubuntu
2. Vista
3. OSX

Which one do i use? Vista.

Even though my favorite is Ubuntu, i need to do things with my computer, not to it.
Gausseliminator

Postby Fartingbob » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:33 am

Ubuntu 9 was released a few days ago, grab the torrent of that if your interested.
Going to put it on my file server when ive got the time. I wouldnt use it on my main PC because my wireless adapter doesnt work with it by default, and although ive read there are workarounds i dont fancy reverting to hacks and command line stuff just to connect to the internet. I forgot about all that when i moved to win95 12 years ago..
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby Trev0r269 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:55 am

Fartingbob wrote:Ubuntu 9 was released a few days ago, grab the torrent of that if your interested.
Going to put it on my file server when ive got the time. I wouldnt use it on my main PC because my wireless adapter doesnt work with it by default, and although ive read there are workarounds i dont fancy reverting to hacks and command line stuff just to connect to the internet. I forgot about all that when i moved to win95 12 years ago..

I don't know if I could have said it better myself. I agree with you.

Between what Bob said, and wine not cutting for certain apps that's where I am.
Trev0r269

Postby Everlast » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:45 am

Windows 7 runs quicker than vista and uses less resources, but looks just as pretty.

OSX - Is decent but you need an emulator to play most games and the menu's are different...
Linux(Any) - Basic GUI's, too much effort..
Vista - Resource hog, but looks pretty and runs just about anything.
XP - Good, but since I used vista I now rely on the search tool too much, I also like the 3d tab switch and other small extras that you can put on xp but they don't incorporate as well.
Ares Galaxy forum maintainer/columnist.

Sure, there have been injuries and deaths in boxing, but none have been serious.
- Boxer Alan Minter
Everlast

Postby shevaberg » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:35 pm

Vista SP1... as soon a win 7 comes out it will go on...
Sarcasm...not to be used on stupid people....
shevaberg

Postby Fartingbob » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:39 pm

(Windows) Se7en does look pretty tempting. Might get a copy next year once its been out for 6 months or so. Ive actually been thinking about grabbing the beta/RC and dual boot for a while, see if it takes my fancy, since once its out in the shops there wont be any easy to to try before i buy (id imagine the retail version will come with plenty of antipiracy methods and i honestly cant be arsed to go through the usual trojan infested cracks).
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby Zoot Cadillac » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:29 pm

Best OS is whatever works for you personally.

I'm happy with Vista Ultimate on my 4 home machines ( but not so happy with the 64bit version on one of them )
I've cut all ties with XP now as I have no more need for it.
I have Win 7 on a test machine and will be happy to move all my machines to this next month.

I run Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty on my webserver but this is only for cost issues rather than preference.
Zoot Cadillac

Postby Paladwyn » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:11 pm

Few months old on the thread, a little more time with Vista for me...Windows 7 around the corner.

Nah, I still would say XP gives you the most versatility for the least amount of effort. Stable and solid...works with machines up to 6-7 years old with almost no problems. It can do almost everything that any other OS can do, and more.

Sure Ubuntu and those Linux variations have great potential, but the time spent on having to get it to the same output as XP is too much.

Remember this isn't about preference really, it's about the overall best. Take everything into consideration. Speed, security, reliability, versatility, ease of use - and so on.

Taking all that into the dish here - I would go with XP for best overall OS.
Paladwyn

Postby lock203 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:45 am

First off, sorry for lurking.

I am a video editor who owns a mac book pro and a 8 processor 6 gig mac pro, and if it weren't for final cut studio and MS office (for mac) OS X would be useless.

Windows XP by far is the best OS I have ever used.
lock203

Postby Psycho Ced » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:48 am

SlyckTom wrote:heh...I'm not saying it is, I'm just laying out the option

Your list has Mac OS X after "I don't know" :lol:
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby Paladwyn » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:37 am

lock203 wrote:First off, sorry for lurking.

I am a video editor who owns a mac book pro and a 8 processor 6 gig mac pro, and if it weren't for final cut studio and MS office (for mac) OS X would be useless.

Wow, sounds alot like a fanboy :)

So, MAC OS is only good for video editing? Doesn't seem to versatile... rather, it is useless except for two programs, and one of which can run under Windows :D

Sorry, that seems kinda funny to me.
Paladwyn

Postby Fartingbob » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:04 am

Paladwyn wrote:Doesn't seem to versatile... rather, it is useless except for two programs, and one of which can run under Windows :D

You mean one of which is far superior on Windows. :wink:
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby IneptVagrant » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:50 am

Paladwyn wrote:
lock203 wrote:First off, sorry for lurking.

Wow, sounds alot like a fanboy :)

So, MAC OS is only good for video editing? Doesn't seem to versatile... rather, it is useless except for two programs, and one of which can run under Windows :D

Sorry, that seems kinda funny to me.
Maybehe is a fanboy (I doubt it), but obviously his business is video editing. And when its serious business you want the best appliance for it. Not the most versatile appliance, that is only 2nd best.

Mac has several niche its king of the hill in. You don't have to be versatile to be the best at something.
IneptVagrant

Location: close the world . . . . . . . . . . . . . . txEn eht nepO

Next

Return to Tech/Software Discussion