Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

access violation error

This is the forum to discuss tech-software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

access violation error

Postby loserboy » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:11 am

I'm having a problem and I didn't really know where else to ask.

I downloaded a program cracked by AiR and when I run the setup.exe I get an error something like "access violation error at address (number) in setup.exe.tmp blah blah"

there were plenty of positive comments on the torrent so i figured it was me and did some research. Apparently AiR team adds some kind of audio when they compile their .exes that can conflict with some peoples comps.

well that would make sense because I've had problems with almost all of AiRs stuff..... so.... anyone know a way around this? is it possible I could decompile the exe and remove the audio?
:?:
Never give up on your stupid, stupid dreams.
loserboy

Re: access violation error

Postby MrFredPFL » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:22 pm

chances are you cannot decompile it and tweak it. some programs can't be decompiled, depending on the language they were written in - other programs can, but are you a programmer yourself? if you are, i suppose there might be a chance - otherwise, you're not going to accomplish anything.

you say you have had probs with almost everything you have downloaded from them - which makes me wonder why you keep doing it ;)
MrFredPFL

Postby loserboy » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:49 pm

It just took me this long to make the connection between AiR and my problem, (I'm dense i know) I wasn't paying attention to the release group.

and I was thinking if it was built with Visual Basic that it might be pretty easy (in theory) since I used to play with that when I was a kid.

All that aside I have possibly found an answer. I looked at almost every comment of about 50 torrents and in one little spot someone mentioned to check if "gdiplus.dll in c:\windows\system32 was set to read-only."

but it will have to wait till I get home and find out more about that dll, not sure I want everything to be able to write to my system dlls
loserboy

Postby Golgo1 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:24 pm

If you are still having problems, what kind of sound setup do you have?

also, everyone always harps about making sure you have the latest video drivers, but people rarely update thier audio drivers. True, they dont get new releases as often, but its still something I would reccomend trying here. Maybe your vendor knows of the problem and has fixed it.
Am I the ONLY one who remembers that video KILLED the radio star?
There are two kinds of people in this world: people who can extrapolate from incomplete data
Golgo1

Postby loserboy » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:43 pm

yea I'll give that a shot when I get home.... it's a fairly new motherboard with integrated sound and I checked for updates when I built it but not since. I've had one or two other sound issues, but nothing serious enough for me to stop being lazy and fix it.

Edit: unchecking the read-only attribute seems to have fixed it, hope it doesnt mess anything up... thanks guys
loserboy

Return to Tech/Software Discussion