Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

I'm stumped. Windows startup error

This is the forum to discuss tech-software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

I'm stumped. Windows startup error

Postby Captain America » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:49 pm

A friend of mine gave me his laptop to repair. I just thought it was going to be the normal adware/spyware crap and maybe a reformat at worst. Now I'm stumped. The laptop never gets pass the Winxp logo/load screen. It just sits there in a continuous loop. I created an ubcd4win and tried all the utils on that and non of them worked. I'm pretty sure its a problem to do with the windows registry. A few times (if I try starting in safe mode) a blue screen with an error msg will come up. It goes by to fast for me to get compelte error msg. Here are two examples of what I managed to catch.

error 1: Error Page Dump at
error 2: Registry *something* Stop file

I created a linux live cd and put it in and look at the hard drives and all files are still intact (my friend would really like to keep it that way). So I know the hard drives are good.
So I figured I would re-install XP and see what happens (without formatting). P.S. My friend doesn't have any installation cd's, I'm using :pirate: copies.

So I put Xp in to intsall, but once it enters the setup portion, it tells me there are no hard disk drives installed. Now I'm like WTF. I can't even reformat if I wanted too. I'm out of idea's on this one..

Is there a way for me to replace or repair the registry through a live cd of some sort (not necessarily linux)

Thanks for any help.
My Machine:Intel I7 @ 2.7ghz| MSI X58 Platinum SLI Socket 1366 ATX Motherboard MS-7522| 2x Hitachi 500gig internal| Geforce gtx 260 core 216|SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio 7.1 2x| dvd lightscribe|Vista 64bit
Captain America

Re: I'm stumped. Windows startup error

Postby Fartingbob » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:09 pm

If you can access the files with linux i would copy all his media (not programs. save any installers though, but not the actual installed stuff) he needs and then do a complete format of the drive and a fresh install of windows. If the hardware is fine (and it seems it is) then this is the only way to be sure you've fixed the problem.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby Tom Brokaw » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:53 pm

Does ultimate boot CD include memtest? Can you see the hard drive in the bios?
Tom Brokaw

Postby Psycho Ced » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:38 pm

Give spinrite a try.
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby zbeast » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:13 pm

Sounds like the custom drives for the that hard drive got nuked...
So it's no longer bootable... best thing to do is just back up the data and do a full new install.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.
zbeast

Postby konkat » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:07 pm

As zbeast mentioned, your XP install disc doesn't work because it does not have the mass storage driver required to recognize the drive. If your friend's computer has a floppy drive you can always load the mass storage driver from the floppy. Your other choice is to create a new install disc with the added drivers using nLite.

Here's a long-shot. If the error is due to a corrupt registry hive file you can always try to (1) open the hive file to see if that will correct the file or (2) replace with an older version of the file from the a system restore dir.

(1) To open the corrupt registry file:
Boot ubcd4win, load regedit, click on one of the existing folders (I always choose HKEY_USERS), from the menu choose FILE -> LOAD HIVE, goto the HDDdrive:\WINDOWS\system32\config. Start off with SYSTEM since that's the likely culprit. Give it a name like SYS01. When I was getting corrupted registries it was enough for me to just open the problem file. Regedit would usually let me know that it did some sort of repair. Repeat for all hive files and reboot once done.

(2) Copy a backup hive file (assuming restore-points exist)
Make backups of the hive files in HDDdrive:\WINDOWS\system32\config that you'll be replacing.
Goto HDDdrive:\System Volume Information\_restore{#####-#####-####}\RP###\snapshot.
You'll want the lates RP### dir
The hive files aren't name exactly as windows uses them. For example the restore point file "_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM" is really the "SYSTEM" hive file. The names are obvious. Copy as many hive files as you need.

Give options (1) and (2) a shot but don't spend too much time with them. Without a more detailed error message they seem like a bit of a long-shot.
konkat

Postby Paladwyn » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:26 pm

My best response is to try to load off the Windows CD...hit repair console and use 'CHKDSK /P', that may repair any file system errors that may occur. This fix usually works for me.

As koncat said, the reason for no drives being loaded is due to the fact that windows can't find the drivers required to load the hard drive. This usually happens if it's a SATA drive, in which they supply a floppy, then hitting F6 on the loadup screen after you put in the CD and boot.

If option 1 dont' work, try a repair...but you need to get XP to see the hard drive first. Although, I did notice Vista doesn't ask for this disc, it seems to recognize SATA efficiently...NOT suggesting you consider Vista, just relating the driver sets to that of XP.
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Postby Captain America » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:42 am

Problem solved.

Solution follows.

I noticed he had 11gigs of partitioned space used as a recovery folder. So I put in Dark/Lite version of XP and install/format the 11gig partition and continue to install xp (as a dual boot). After installation, the new XP boots flawlessly and he can still access all files/folders from his hard drive that were previously on it.

Thanks for the help everyone.
My Machine:Intel I7 @ 2.7ghz| MSI X58 Platinum SLI Socket 1366 ATX Motherboard MS-7522| 2x Hitachi 500gig internal| Geforce gtx 260 core 216|SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio 7.1 2x| dvd lightscribe|Vista 64bit
Captain America

Return to Tech/Software Discussion