Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Secrets of slyck.com

This is the forum to discuss tech-software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Secrets of slyck.com

Postby Kullt » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:48 am

Hi slyck,

As a budding web developer myself, I would love to know the secrets of such a well developed community site such as yourself. I am looking to develop my very own community based website, also built on phpBB 3.0.

I'm basically wondering:

What phpBB portal (if any) you use?
    What scripts are used?
    If there are any major issues you during development I should watch out for?
    If you have any general tips for building site traffic and a community?
    If you know of any good script or tutorial sites to help get me started?

I have good a knowledge of XHTML, CSS. I am currently teaching myself php, javascript (I do have previous programming experience, so I'm mainly learnig the syntax and specific practises).

Don't worry my project has nothing to do with filesharing so there's no need to worry about giving up your secrets to the competition. :tinfoilhat:
Kullt

Re: Secrets of slyck.com

Postby MrFredPFL » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:21 pm

hi kullt :)

well, i can't answer much of this, as it's mostly a secret to me too ;)

but we use no portal, i can say that much. it's just phpbb3 with a few tweaks, with ray's super secret frontend on it.
MrFredPFL

Postby Paladwyn » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:03 pm

Aliens...

they use aliens to do their site, they keep them as slaves.
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Postby Kullt » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:46 pm

Thanks for the reply, guess I'll have to hunt down those elusive aliens myself.

Cheers anyway slyck.
Kullt

Postby Dazzle_2 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:27 pm

I run a site myself and to be honest there is one "secret" I myself would like to share with you ,, its damn hard work :lol:
Dazzle_2

Postby Renegade » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:30 am

I'm basically wondering:

What phpBB portal (if any) you use?

No portal system is in use, the forum is solely used for discussion, and its database for some additional storage, but the front page is entirely custom built and not reliant on any portal code.

What scripts are used?

If you are talking JS, this can be gleaned from the html source in any case. PHP as said above is custom created, and perform a variety of functions.

If there are any major issues you during development I should watch out for?

The major issues with any large site are not usually developmental software issues, usually you are more likely to encounter human issues, such as a poor team behind you, not creating sufficient or interesting content, or just a lack of publicity. There are many well designed and highly functional sites around as prototypes on the internet that have got nowhere as nobody knows about them.

If you have any general tips for building site traffic and a community?

Create content people want, be friendly and kind, and have a moderation / admin team of a sufficient size, covering as many time zones as possible. Try to introduce people to your site on a small scale first, and if it fills a gap, you'll find word of mouth will expand it in any case. Do not spam any currently existing communities with your sites link without permission first. Creating any bad relations when starting out is a definite no no.

If you know of any good script or tutorial sites to help get me started?

Experiment is the best way to learn. Have a goal in mind, try something to get there, if it doesn't work try something else. Once you have something that works well, step back and think how you could make it more efficient. Redesign the script to be as efficient as you possibly can. Do not expect a site to hold up to large amounts of traffic with a set of badly designed scripts.

Above all, if you aren't generating much traffic and feel that the site is letting you down, don't be put off from a largescale redesign or repurposing. Think on your feet, but always involve whatever community you have in the changes you want to drive.
Renegade

Return to Tech/Software Discussion