Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Router Monitoring Software?

This is the forum to discuss tech-software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Router Monitoring Software?

Postby Flaps » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:35 am

hey guys,

anyone know of any routing monitoring software that shows me how many people are connected to my wireless router?

We have it unsecured, and sometimes get the feeling that next door is using it... So i was thinking there's gotto be some piece of software out there that shows me who is connected...

and btw, the reason its unsecured is because the whole torrent thing, if i get caught, i could say it was other people who are connected to the router ;)

thanks all

Flaps
Why?? Oh why???
Flaps

Re: Router Monitoring Software?

Postby Paladwyn » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:08 am

Depending on your router there should be logs inside, or a page with connection info. I can't speak for all of them, but a more advanced logging system would be nice to have.
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Postby Golgo1 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:11 am

while leaving it unsecured sounds good that way... you also have the downside that people might actually be hijacking it.
Am I the ONLY one who remembers that video KILLED the radio star?
There are two kinds of people in this world: people who can extrapolate from incomplete data
Golgo1

Postby Flaps » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:27 am

Golgo1 wrote:while leaving it unsecured sounds good that way... you also have the downside that people might actually be hijacking it.

I do see what you're saying, but luckily i live in a little village, in the forest... where 90% of the people don't even know what M$ is (lol), we tested the range on the router with a laptop outside, and luckily doesnt go far enough where we cant see anyone outside with a laptop. so if anyone would be hijacking it, it would only be the people next door, but they are just kids, so im thinking they may just be using my router for internet access, (possible hijack, don't really know) but i was just curious on any software that detects how many connections there are... if more than 3, then i can go round there and say "blah blah blah, stealing internet, blah blah, GTFO or ill infect your laptops" (i know i cant, but they are dumb enough to believe me :P) :D
Why?? Oh why???
Flaps

Postby Paladwyn » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:03 am

If you have your router unsecured, all they hafta do is have a wireless card and your network will pop right up, hit connect and BAM. So, if you are unsecured it's not really calling it hijacking, more like piggybacking.

I keep my network under pretty tight observation, it shows up as unsecured, but only a few wireless MAC addresses are allowed in. I've got a strict static IP addressing list, so if there is a rogue connection, I'll be able to spot it...maybe not right away, but if it's a repeating connection, it will show up. I'm glad not many people around here know how to hack into wireless connectios. There are 3 other connections in my vicinity, one other being unsecured - so mine will get left alone.

AND because I have wireless, if it DID come down to it, I can always say it was hacked..
Paladwyn

Postby Flaps » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:29 am

Paladwyn wrote: but only a few wireless MAC addresses are allowed in. I've got a strict static IP addressing list, so if there is a rogue connection, I'll be able to spot it...

Did you set that up yourself with allowing certain mac addresses? If so, was that option within your router?
Why?? Oh why???
Flaps

Postby Golgo1 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:44 am

Most major routers now will let you assign a MAC list. That way, someone can hack your WEP all they want, if thier MAC doesnt match the list, they aint getting on. MAC spoofing is possible, but I understand it's a bit harder, and it's just one more layer of security.

The downside is that if you want your wireless to be dynamic, like letting friends connect when they come over, you have to do a little more work to set them up. Just giving them your password doesnt work.
Am I the ONLY one who remembers that video KILLED the radio star?
There are two kinds of people in this world: people who can extrapolate from incomplete data
Golgo1

Postby enigmax » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:50 am

Flaps wrote:the reason its unsecured is because the whole torrent thing, if i get caught, i could say it was other people who are connected to the router ;)

The people you get the letters from won't have a clue if your router is secured or not. At the flick of a switch it is.......at the flick of a switch it isn't.....
enigmax

Postby Flaps » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:51 am

ok awsome, when i get home from work tonight, i'll log into my router and have a look for a MAC list filter of some sort, just out of curiosity though, what about psp's? Would i have to allow that in the list aswell?
Why?? Oh why???
Flaps

Postby Paladwyn » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:03 am

Flaps wrote:ok awsome, when i get home from work tonight, i'll log into my router and have a look for a MAC list filter of some sort, just out of curiosity though, what about psp's? Would i have to allow that in the list aswell?

I did, we have 2 DS's and a Wii...all of which I put through the filter. You can also use a WEP encryption for added security...they are about the same security in the end, I juts hate trying to remember passwords. So, if I let your laptop in once, it's good forever - though it is a bit of a pain to go into the router and edit the filter list (but you only have to do it once per device).
Paladwyn

Postby Flaps » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:14 pm

Ok awsome, thanks for the help all, i'll see about what i can do with the MAC filter list... just gotto dig up my router password now lol
Why?? Oh why???
Flaps

Return to Tech/Software Discussion