Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Why BitTorrent causes so much latency and how to fix it

This is the forum to discuss tech-software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Why BitTorrent causes so much latency and how to fix it

Postby zbeast » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:05 pm

http://www.formortals.com/Home/tabid/36/EntryID/57/Default.aspx
Anyone VoIP or online gamer who has a roommate or a family member who uses BitTorrent (or any P2P application) knows what a nightmare it is when BitTorrent is in use. The ping (round trip latency) goes through the roof and it stays there making VoIP packets drop out and game play impossible. I've personally experienced this and many of my friends have experienced it. When I had a roommate in 1999 and I had my first broadband connection, my roommate started using the hot P2P (peer-to-peer) application of its day called Napster. As soon as he started sharing, my online game would become slow as molasses and I'd experience a huge 500ms second spike in round-trip latency and any gamer knows that pings over 100 are problematic.

People may find this very useful.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.
zbeast

Re: Why BitTorrent causes so much latency and how to fix it

Postby Golgo1 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:27 pm

quite interesting
Am I the ONLY one who remembers that video KILLED the radio star?
There are two kinds of people in this world: people who can extrapolate from incomplete data
Golgo1

Postby Paladwyn » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:38 pm

Indeed, I will have to check my router to see if ti's got this capability, surely a QoS setting could be used? Anybody else with DD-WRT care to comment?
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Postby TorrentMama » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:35 pm

one commenter said exactly what I was thinking...

"There are fundamental technical flaws with article, the data collected, and the analysis of it. The author ignores that it is the number of open connections rather than the application opening them, which us the culprit. Open ten HTTP or ftp downloads and your latency similarly jumps to 6000 ms. The author never tried this, and jumps to ridiculous conclusions from his limited dataset.

But the worst and most dangerous part of the article are the political opinions he offers on the sensitive issue of net neutrality, which might unfortunately get swallowed at face value by the overwhelming majority of folks who lack the technical knowledge to see the argument's flaws.

Giving the big ISP's carte blanche to do anything they want to your traffic seems a high price to pay for the ability of certain people to run certain apps simultaneously on their single home circuits."
Lionel Hutz, court-appointed attorney. I'll be defending you on the charge of... Murder One! Wow! Even if I lose, I'll be famous!
TorrentMama

Return to Tech/Software Discussion