Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Windows Web Server

This is the forum to discuss tech-software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Windows Web Server

Postby Paladwyn » Wed May 28, 2008 10:07 am

Well, I'm here actually asking for a bit of information and advice, instead of my usual rantings.

Recently, the kid here decides he wants to start posting his comic strips he's been writing up on the internet, and hopes that...well, people will like them, and he will become filthy rich. So, in this thought, I figured since I have a server that runs 24/7 anyways, a dynamic IP address (which for some reason hasn't changed in the past 6 months - so I'm gonna just say it's more or less static), and a tiny bit of knowledge on web creation.

I decided to first go with Windows XP Pro's IIS 5.1 utilities for this until I get a better understanding of it all. I was doing a bit of research, and it appears you can only have one website with XP Pro (which is perfectly ok with me right now), but the part that made me mumble a bit was...10 connections? Is it true that with XP's IIS that you can only have 10 people at once connected to your site? I suppose that's ok for a start...BUT, if things go well, could quickly fill up.

From there, I either would look at going to Windows Server (which can do better, so I was told), or Apache. I'm hoping somebody could toss advice on the best way to run with it, keeping in mind it's going to be a relatively simple site at first..hopefully with some ad revenue kicking in to help support a better site - maybe.

Anybody out there with knowledge of IIS or Apache?
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Re: Windows Web Server

Postby tiny4eva » Wed May 28, 2008 12:05 pm

when i fist started i used Xammp Apache friends

Its a php/mysql/apache all in one installer, id advice you to start somewhere like that, their are other programms that do the same thing but i became very happy with, it updates regulary but you need to keep checking the site, and well, all the time i used it other than afew config changes and virtual hosts to learn was excellent for a fisrt time 8)
tiny4eva

Re: Windows Web Server

Postby Paladwyn » Wed May 28, 2008 12:38 pm

I think I may install it on the server and see how it goes.

The most important thing is simplicity - atleast for now, the simpler the better.
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Return to Tech/Software Discussion