Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Can anyone using vista suggest...

This is the forum to discuss tech-software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Can anyone using vista suggest...

Postby piglets222 » Sat May 10, 2008 3:38 pm

a good free firewall?

so far i have been using the vista firewall which they said was better then the xp, but the other day my current game updated and has put out its own 'antivirus' to delete "any files it considers infected" with trojans... considering that this game can't protect its own servers from hackers no way am i keeping that av... soon as i installed the update and my sygate on the xp wigged out, and locked it down... the vista firewall just rolled over didnt even whimper... sygate is not compatible with vista :(

i know that at some point teh vista firewall will get me in trouble cause its obviously Not doing Jack

so is anyone using something thats easy to use, free, and compatible with vista home
piglets222

Re: Can anyone using vista suggest...

Postby TorrentMama » Sat May 10, 2008 3:44 pm

I have it from the highest authority that Comodo is the best. They have a free version here Now by the best, I mean it's been hit left, right, and sideways and it's pretty damn secure. However, I don't know if there are any vista bugs.
Lionel Hutz, court-appointed attorney. I'll be defending you on the charge of... Murder One! Wow! Even if I lose, I'll be famous!
TorrentMama

Postby Tyranoth » Sat May 10, 2008 4:53 pm

I'll have to agree with TorrentMama on Comodo, its the best FREE firewall. That being said, I had a lot of problems with that firewall in the past and eventually removed it in the end. Even after removing it some system files refused to be removed at all with out enabling the system to show phantom devices and drivers. Another option is to go with a hardware firewall and stick with the Vista firewall as a secondary. Good luck to you.
Esoteric Apatheia
Tyranoth

Postby loftie » Sat May 10, 2008 5:13 pm

ZoneAlarm - Always used it, never really had any problems. The firewall is free, not sure how good the free one works, but it should still do the job.
but the other day my current game updated and has put out its own 'antivirus' to delete "any files it considers infected" with trojans

What game did that? I've never heard of anything like that :?
Do you not have an antivirus already? Because if u do, and it installed another antivirus, i was under the impression that's bad.
If you dont have an antivirus, use AVG, thats free. Not amazing, but it's better than nothing
loftie

Postby TorrentMama » Sat May 10, 2008 5:34 pm

hell no to zone alarm. it's total crap. my effing space bar is sticking so I'm not going to go through the trouble of explaining why. do some googling and dump that fast!!
Lionel Hutz, court-appointed attorney. I'll be defending you on the charge of... Murder One! Wow! Even if I lose, I'll be famous!
TorrentMama

Postby Maestro120 » Sat May 10, 2008 6:11 pm

loftie wrote:ZoneAlarm - Always used it, never really had any problems. The firewall is free, not sure how good the free one works, but it should still do the job.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...
Maestro120

Postby loftie » Sat May 10, 2008 6:25 pm

lol i wondered how long until someone knocked ZA :D . Well the only issue i've ever had with it was to do with msn, which was sorted by turning off the IM protection.

I found a website rating some firewalls http://www.matousec.com/projects/firewa ... ls-ratings
and comodo is the best. ZA scores 74% ( not the latest version ), so i went off and ran some firewall tests. Everything was fine apparently, but i believe our modem has a built in firewall too, so maybe that helped. Who knows, maybe the new ZA which is Vista only will have fixed a lot of things, maybe its even worse, we'll just have to try it and find out :)

Ps if someone knows of a good site to test a firewall, i'll try it out, the tests i tried were all done with ZA V6 ( Pro version )
loftie

Postby LANjackal » Sat May 10, 2008 7:05 pm

piglets222 wrote:a good free firewall?

so far i have been using the vista firewall which they said was better then the xp, but the other day my current game updated and has put out its own 'antivirus' to delete "any files it considers infected" with trojans... considering that this game can't protect its own servers from hackers no way am i keeping that av... soon as i installed the update and my sygate on the xp wigged out, and locked it down... the vista firewall just rolled over didnt even whimper... sygate is not compatible with vista :(

i know that at some point teh vista firewall will get me in trouble cause its obviously Not doing Jack
For one thing, every expert article I've read says the built-in firewall is sufficient and extremely configurable at that. You don't need a 3rd party app.

That and your story doesn't make any sense. The Vista firewall didn't block anything because the program update wasn't malware. Whether or not you like it is a different matter, but code has to have bad intentions to be properly considered malware. This particular update may have possibly be poorly written by your standards, but that doesn't make it malicious code. By my judgement, what you have on your hands is a false positive by Sygate if anything.

The call is up to you, but personally I'd prefer my PC not be "locked down" unnecessarily. I'd keep things as they are: Sygate on XP, standard firewall on Vista.

Also, if you're that worried about the security of the game's code, then why are you even running it ... ? That doesn't add up.
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby piglets222 » Sat May 10, 2008 8:08 pm

thank you torrentmama for the suggestion i have not heard of that firewall.... it has high reviews but they are mixed, http://www.download.com/Comodo-Firewall ... 60704.html some say its annoying in always asking permissions, and such...

i have heard of ZA

loftie this is the game http://co.91.com/ conqueronline
details of the patch http://co.91.com/content/2008-04-24/200 ... 0115.shtml
7. An anti-virus program will be built in the game client. It will scan and delete trojans and viruses automatically to enhance the game account security.

Lanjackel, i thought teh same thing as you, i had read the articles saying teh vista firewall was sufficient... and then i saw with my own experience that it is obviously Not sufficient

this is a screenshot of my xp with sygate.. the antivirus is trying to connect to the internet, the client game is Not running... i believe i have a right to know, what softwares on my computer are trying to connect to the internet? i believe i have the right to deny any softwares on my computer the right of connecting to the internet?

vista firewall never gave me the option of denying this software access to the internet
vista firewall never gave me notification this software was Trying to connect to the internet

for all that the UAC of vista is being touted at the end all of be all, another aspect of the new patch is when the client closes IE opens to the game web page... and again vista doesnt even whimper

i have read further about the vista firewall... heres some more info

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/a ... urity.html
Analysis: New Windows Vista Firewall Fails on Outbound Security

there is alot of info there

considering my own experience in seeing the vista firewall fail, i am wishing to get a firewall that is proven reliable

as for why i play a game that is not... Lol.. god dude, we the players ask ourselves that often many times, i see users quit and come back quit and come back... it is not the best game... and there are worse games, i just know my reasonings, i have been playing it for 3 yrs now, i am the highest of my class on my server, i grinded my way there myself,... i like my guild, my guildmembers, i like helping the nubs learn the ropes, seeing when they get their first good weapons, or complete their first quests... and i know at any moment the game could lag and my char be thrown in botjail dropping a item in air and triggering the games bot def, i know that my char could be hacked, they would know what day it happened, they would know who did it, what they took... and they would do Nothing because i have not bought game items with irl monies..

i still play teh game *shrugs*

piglets222

Postby slackdaddy » Sat May 10, 2008 9:49 pm

Just checking in...using Vista Home Basic + Comodo firewall + AVG antivirus + Firefox = no problems
slackdaddy

Postby thejynxed » Sat May 17, 2008 7:11 pm

Like was mentioned earlier, you might want to try configuring the Vista firewall. Most of those articles saying it fails, didn't even bother setting up proper filtering rules. The new firewall blocks software based on their SID, as well as restricting ports and protocols. You can also set it up to restrict by user account, domain, etc.

Try looking at the post I submitted about the MSDN article on the Vista firewall.

I'd also like to mention, there is no way to completely secure a system using outbound filtering.
"FlickR is supposed to be weird, fun, experimental, way out-there -- oh no, wait, now that it's so close to being part of Microsoft, FlickR's supposed to bore people to death and empty their pockets while pretending to innovate." - Bruce Sterling
thejynxed

Return to Tech/Software Discussion