Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Sync Toy

This is the forum to discuss tech-software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Sync Toy

Postby zbeast » Wed May 07, 2008 5:09 pm

Say have someone your trading files with computer to computer..
try Sync toy!

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/prophoto/synctoy.mspx
Now there is an easier way. SyncToy is a free PowerToy that provides an easy to use, highly customizable program that helps users to do the heavy lifting involved with the copying, moving, and synchronization of different directories. Most common operations can be performed with just a few clicks of the mouse, and additional customization is available without added complexity. SyncToy can manage multiple sets of folders at the same time; it can combine files from two folders in one case, and mimic renames and deletes in another. Unlike other applications, SyncToy actually keeps track of renames to files and will make sure those changes get carried over to the synchronized folder.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.
zbeast

Re: Sync Toy

Postby thejynxed » Mon May 26, 2008 12:27 pm

The nifty thing about Sync Toy: It works over WAN and remote networks, so....if you use your imagination like I do....picture what that can mean between syncing your downloaded files folder with your friend remotely, who has a faster connection than you...

I've used this to transfer all kinds of things to my brother's computer remotely.
"FlickR is supposed to be weird, fun, experimental, way out-there -- oh no, wait, now that it's so close to being part of Microsoft, FlickR's supposed to bore people to death and empty their pockets while pretending to innovate." - Bruce Sterling
thejynxed

Postby Paladwyn » Mon May 26, 2008 1:00 pm

So, basically this works the same way as MSN sharing folders. Post stuff to your folder and it will sync, as long as you are logged on to that computer.
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Postby LANjackal » Mon May 26, 2008 8:38 pm

Syncback Freeware is far more capable: http://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/freeware-hub.html

HOWEVER

Syncback requires admin rights for installation, whereas (surprisingly) SyncToy doesn't. I use Syncback on my home laptop and SyncToy on my office workstation.
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Return to Tech/Software Discussion