Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Windows xp OEM vs. retail

This is the forum to discuss tech-software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Windows xp OEM vs. retail

Postby Arled » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:10 am

I read that OEM software (quote) "is edentical to the full retail versions of the software but it lack any packaging"

But seeing XiSO released both OEM and RETAIL that makes me wondering why - if the software is identical in

both discs.......

what say you?

and ETH0 altho releases both OEM and RETAIL of a certain software...so..what am i missing? :tinfoilhat:

I hope it's not forbidden to talk about it
Arled

Re: Windows xp OEM vs. retail

Postby velatire » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:00 am

If you buy OEM, you can only installed it on a limited number of computers, and you have no tech support.
velatire

Postby Arled » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:10 am

fischju wrote:If you buy OEM, you can only installed it on a limited number of computers, and you have no tech support.

yes...but it doesn't explain why release groups, piracey release group, would release both - a copy of OEM

and a copy of RETAIL.

if the softwares are the same.

and that's what i wanna know... are they the same?
Arled

Postby MyBigToe » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:29 am

different keys work with different versions
so if you have a PC with an OEM key and need to reinstall, OEM releases are the way to go
MyBigToe

Postby ejonesss » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:23 am

Arled wrote:I read that OEM software (quote) "is edentical to the full retail versions of the software but it lack any packaging"

But seeing XiSO released both OEM and RETAIL that makes me wondering why - if the software is identical in

both discs.......

what say you?

and ETH0 altho releases both OEM and RETAIL of a certain software...so..what am i missing? :tinfoilhat:

one way you could find out is to iso image both the oem and the retail disks and compare the cdc/hashes.

that will tell you if microsoft to save money in pressing costs if they make both oem and retails off the same master and print oem and retail stickers.
…-..-..-..-..-.-----.-…-..-…-..-…-...
ejonesss

Postby Fartingbob » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:29 am

Yep, only differences are no support, no packaging. Just the CD/DVD with a serial number. Great way to save money, buy OEM software (if your not into downloading it for free obviously). Technical support isnt that much of a bonus, the internet has about a million articles and forums which will be able to help you much more than someone sitting in a call centre slowly developing a hatred for life.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby Paladwyn » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:55 am

Technically, OEM copies are only to be sold with the purchase of a new computer...or atleast hardware. Some vendors would bundle them with a mouse, them MS changed the agreement to atleast a hard drive.

Some stores (like mine did) sold OEM copies straight up. But MS hates that alot for some reason...something to do with gouging.

Basically the vendors wanted a way to give XP with machines without having to charge an exorbant amount back tot he customers, driving the prices up. This was to be price comparable to the big chains like Dell and HP. However, those big vendors get theor software for a hell of alot less than the stores pay for the OEM.
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Postby Arled » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:29 am

MyBigToe wrote:different keys work with different versions
so if you have a PC with an OEM key and need to reinstall, OEM releases are the way to go

yeah,

It's enough of a reason for a release group to release both..

true. :)

thanks...

i'm just wondering if there is any difference at all in the software..like

really really in the software. i know both releases weigh the same..
Arled

Postby Arled » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:33 am

ejonesss wrote:
Arled wrote:I read that OEM software (quote) "is edentical to the full retail versions of the software but it lack any packaging"

both discs.......

what say you?

one way you could find out is to iso image both the oem and the retail disks and compare the cdc/hashes.

that will tell you if microsoft to save money in pressing costs if they make both oem and retails off the same master and print oem and retail stickers.

I think it will find different hashes..

because the keys each version gets are different....that's already a difference..in the software

or somethin like that..right?

and any kind of this diffrence would generate a different hash?
Arled

Postby Arled » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:49 am

Paladwyn wrote:Technically, OEM copies are only to be sold with the purchase of a new computer...or atleast hardware. Some vendors would bundle them with a mouse, them MS changed the agreement to atleast a hard drive.

Some stores (like mine did) sold OEM copies straight up. But MS hates that alot for some reason...something to do with gouging.

Basically the vendors wanted a way to give XP with machines without having to charge an exorbant amount back tot he customers, driving the prices up. This was to be price comparable to the big chains like Dell and HP. However, those big vendors get theor software for a hell of alot less than the stores pay for the OEM.

thanks for the good knowledge...

the question is - are the oem copies, microsoft sends to the vendors, are any different

than a retail i would buy in a store..

except for support, warranty, manuals..EULA...etc..

it's interesting if behind all this..ya know..so called diffrences, there IS

a diffrence. in the software itself..

I google it, but only found the other stuff - like support, warranty, manuals and eula...

nothing regarding to the software... >_<
Arled

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:15 am

Arled wrote:
ejonesss wrote:

both discs.......

what say you?

I think it will find different hashes..

because the keys each version gets are different....that's already a difference..in the software

or somethin like that..right?

and any kind of this diffrence would generate a different hash?

correct. even if every program and file were identical, aside from the key stuff, the difference in key verification is enough to change the hash. at which point, it could just as easily be a copy of windows with one letter in a help file changed, or a copy of donkey kong.
MrFredPFL

Postby Arled » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:45 am

no point comparing hashes then.. :tinfoilhat:

i have looked in all kind of places for it...

well..someone MUST know..alot of people watched this thread (200 are alot..in my terms..?)

someone must know if there is a difference..
Arled

Postby Paladwyn » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:26 pm

What I've found is, you can use an OEM key with Retail software...however, if you went to work on somebody's computer who has an HP with an HP key...but doesn't have the Windows CD, so you use any other CD..right service pack and everything...it will not work, period.

You need to have an HP Disc to install, it's kinda retarded...so your Vendor OEM's are different from standard OEM's
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Postby Psycho Ced » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:48 pm

There is no difference functionally wise. It is mainly to do with the keys and support as stated already on this thread. A group might release both simply because they had access to both and chose to release them.
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby KoolKat » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:30 pm

Arled wrote:
Paladwyn wrote:Technically, OEM copies are only to be sold with the purchase of a new computer...or atleast hardware. Some vendors would bundle them with a mouse, them MS changed the agreement to atleast a hard drive.

thanks for the good knowledge...

the question is - are the oem copies, microsoft sends to the vendors, are any different

than a retail i would buy in a store..

except for support, warranty, manuals..EULA...etc..

it's interesting if behind all this..ya know..so called diffrences, there IS

a diffrence. in the software itself..

I google it, but only found the other stuff - like support, warranty, manuals and eula...

nothing regarding to the software... >_<

I had the unfortunate experience of working for a company called PCMall many years ago and i sold a lot of M$ products. The only difference, as stated previously, is packaging and support. There is no difference in buying a full retail version, software wise.
Vir, intelligence has nothing to do with politics! ~ Londo Mollari
KoolKat

Postby Arled » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:05 am

ok then..sheesh, no one actually said

there is no diffrence in the soft untill now..KoolKat and Psycho Ced..

Paladwyn..yeah. i think some do it...i read they bios lock it or something like that...

anyways..

thanks all :)
Arled

Return to Tech/Software Discussion