Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Which way now?

This is the forum to discuss tech-software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Which way now?

Postby Kullt » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:12 am

Hi all,

5 months ago I started my new job in web design, all has gone well and I now posses a good knowledge of xhtml and css. At this point I'm not quite sure which direction I'd like to head in next, either javascript or php.

I'm leaning towards javascript first as then I should be equipped to create all manner of gui's for my future php programs. What do you think?

Also does anyone have any suggestions for a decent php IDE? I have had a small look at asp .net being coded in visual studio, I hvae not seen anything that comes close to visual studio for php though. Am I missing the golden IDE for php?

I know you can use dreamweaver but it's not much different to using notepad and does little to speed up development.

Thanks.
Kullt

Re: Which way now?

Postby HouseCrowd » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:21 am

I don't know if there's anything like VS for PHP, but Zend Studio is a PHP IDE I've used myself ... although not extensively, and I've not used it for some time now.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby Kullt » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:43 am

Thanks for the quick reply. I had heard good things about zend but thought it was supposed to be quite expensive.
Kullt

Postby moka » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:19 am

Hi Kullt,

You could also try Delphi for PHP or Eclipse PDT(it's free and available for multiple platforms). But I haven't got any experience with any of them, because I'm not a web developer.
moka

Postby Kullt » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:52 am

Thanks moka,

Delphi for php looks like the closest thing to vs for asp .net. I'll have to give it a go. Not sure about eclipse I've heard phpedit is similar but better.
Kullt

Postby Golgo1 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:29 pm

Komodo edit is a great editor for php/java/html/ etc etc... basicly anything that requires code :)
I dont think it's free, but its cheap (and keys are easy to find) :wink:

The ONLY bad thing I have to say about it is it can be sluggish to load, once it's up its great. has all sorts of autocomplete for TONS of functions in damn near any language you can think of. You can redirect the default interpreters if you want as well. It will highlight code that is incorrect, or even if it is not XHTML compliant 8)

Hope I dont sound like a commercial :) but komodo will let you play around in javascript or php, so you can decide where you want to go from there.
Am I the ONLY one who remembers that video KILLED the radio star?
There are two kinds of people in this world: people who can extrapolate from incomplete data
Golgo1

Return to Tech/Software Discussion