Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Odd Firefox Problem

This is the forum to discuss tech-software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Odd Firefox Problem

Postby LANjackal » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:46 am

Up to earlier tonight, FF was doing fine with no problems. Then I decided to try out Download Them All, the FF extension with metalinking support, etc. FF still worked. For a while.

Then all of a sudden pages started taking forever to load, if they loaded completely at all. Trying to navigate to an address sometimes just produced a "Looking up *insert address here*" in the status bar. I thought it was my internet connection at first, but rebooting my modem did nothing, and my IM client wasn't reporting any disconnections anyway.

Restarted Firefox. No change. Disabled Download Them All, restart FF. No change. Uninstalled Download Them All, restart FF. No change. Reboot PC. Nada.

Meanwhile, I opened up IE7 (oh, the humanity, reduced to using IE!!! :() and found that it was having none of the above issues. I also discovered - to my dismay - that it's considerably faster at browsing than FF was even when it's working, but that's another story.

Anyone have any ideas as to what may have crippled my FF? Thanks.
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Re: Odd Firefox Problem

Postby Psycho Ced » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:18 am

Have you tried loading it in in FF (safe mode)? Also, have you tried reinstalling it?
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby Lee1001 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:25 am

I think there is a new FF today,FF4,also the new IE8 beta
Lee1001

Postby LANjackal » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:37 pm

Opened FF in safe mode and poked around a bit on the web no problems, then reverted to regular mode. Problem apparently solved. Maybe safe mode reset something, I don't know ...
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby venussuz » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:37 am

I've been having the same problem with Firefox after using Down Them All. Think I'll try the same steps, cause this web client has gotten ridiculously slow and, like you said, refused to load pages seemingly at random.
Toasty wrote:It must be the economy. Judges are probably BOGO in Sweden right now. :D
venussuz

Postby senseispab » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:50 am

I would LOVE Firefox if it didn't freeze so goddam often.
senseispab

Postby LANjackal » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:57 am

venussuz wrote:I've been having the same problem with Firefox after using Down Them All. Think I'll try the same steps, cause this web client has gotten ridiculously slow and, like you said, refused to load pages seemingly at random.
Actually it seems as if I spoke too soon. The problem has returned. 2 other people + me have reported the problem at DTA's Mozilla Addon page here:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ionID=8781

I've even reinstalled Firefox, to no effect. I guess the next move is to completely uninstall, then reinstall, OR see if upgrading to the beta version fixes the problem. I think I'll try the beta upgrade first.

EDIT: The beta version of FF doesn't support Google Toolbar, which I use. So I uninstalled FF. Since in retrospect Google Toolbar was the only customization I actually used for FF AND it works in IE7, I've switched to IE7. Sad but true. I'll revisit FF when version 3 goes gold.

EDIT #2: I think I fixed the problem (finally). Here's how you do it:

- Uninstall DTA
- In your FF user profile, found here, find and delete dta_history and dta-queue.sqlite. This should remove DTA completely
- Start FF in safe mode
- Check the "Reset all user preferences to Firefox defaults" option
- Click "Make changes and restart"
- Don't install DTA (or any other extension) again unless absolutely necessary ;) This is normally a personal rule of mine, but I took an exception this time since DTA has metalink support. Oh well for that.

This should fix the problem.
LANjackal

Postby thejynxed » Sat May 17, 2008 7:53 pm

There is a known error in FF2 and the FF3 alphas and betas that cause dta-queue.sqlite file to bloat up to 20 mb or more with junk data. It is usually sufficient to delete the .sqlite file and restart FF2/FF3. This issue can cause FF to "freeze" randomly, as the plugin is causing the browser to read/write to the .sqlite file.

You get the same "freezing" affect if you open say an 8 MB text file in Notepad, sometimes with the hilarious result that not only does Notepad hang, but so does Explorer, IE, and several other subsystems in Windows :) Try opening an .avi file in Notepad once :D
"FlickR is supposed to be weird, fun, experimental, way out-there -- oh no, wait, now that it's so close to being part of Microsoft, FlickR's supposed to bore people to death and empty their pockets while pretending to innovate." - Bruce Sterling
thejynxed

Postby valery11 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:16 am

Hi,

I have a flickr firefox problem, I don't know how to get over it.

Please offer some advice.
Thank you.
valery11

Return to Tech/Software Discussion