Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Is Itunes on the dark side?

This is the forum to discuss tech-software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Is Itunes on the dark side?

Postby jb » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:09 pm

I'm looking for a music jukebox/manager. Have been using Windows Media Player for a year or so since Musicmatch went down the tubes with Yahoo. I considered going back to Musicmatch, but see that Yahoo has recently trashed it for something called Yahoo Music Jukebox. Is Itunes a viable replacement?
jb

Re: Is Itunes on the dark side?

Postby Wham » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:05 pm

I'm with you. I love musicmatch and used and will continue to use their player all the time. Consider this fact. If you purchased musicmatch jukebox, it will still work. All your internal stuff works just fine. The only thing is that you may not want to go on the internet with it because it will take you to yahoo. It still works great for your library and all the other stuff you do with it off line. If you were useing the free version of musicmatch you are as you say SOL.
Wham

Postby LANjackal » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:57 am

jb wrote:I'm looking for a music jukebox/manager. Have been using Windows Media Player for a year or so since Musicmatch went down the tubes with Yahoo. I considered going back to Musicmatch, but see that Yahoo has recently trashed it for something called Yahoo Music Jukebox. Is Itunes a viable replacement?
If you use Windows Media Player, the closest alternative to that in terms of UI/capability is MediaMonkey or Winamp.
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby JR007 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:38 am

I agree with jackal. MediaMonkey all the way! Its an amazing media player and very easy to use. Check it out, as I am sure you'll like it as well.
JR007

Postby abou105 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:18 am

personally i hate programs which mimic itunes, this is because i would say im old school and my collection doesn't come from the nice readily organized days of torrents, itunes organization services mess up my library which i painstakingly organize myself by genre > artist > album. If you are a fairly new user and find all your id tags are similar, it would not be a problem.

My personal choice is:

Windows Explorer (folder view)
Winamp (optimized for low ram consumption)

I cant stand programs which install useless services to your system which have to be unchecked after install, winamp allows you to control installed components at install.

Foobar2000 is held in very high regard in allot of circles, it was made by a breakaway development when nullsoft (winap creators) were bought by AOL. So id advise you check that out.

If you must use an itunes-like service, go for a clone like mdeia monkey, it does its job well and the bonus is its not made by apple :wink:
Information is so valuable in todays society, its understandable people want to lock it up, but the internet is about freedom of information, lets not take that away.
abou105

Postby jb » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:33 am

Thanks for the suggestions. Checked out Winamp and MediaMonkey sites, reviews, etc. Both look good, leaning toward MediaMonkey. I need to review further as both of their sites mention a lot of "features" that are done automatically. I prefer to do things myself rather than be surprised. The old Musicmatch allowed me to easily place only MP3s of my choice in the index rather than searching my hard drive for everything available. Does MediaMonkey allow this? I want to download to try it out, but would like to avoid waiting for it go through the 40+ gigs of MP3s on my hard drive. By the way, is it coincidence that both Musicmatch and MediaMonkey can be abbreviated to MM?
jb

Postby LANjackal » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:13 pm

jb wrote:The old Musicmatch allowed me to easily place only MP3s of my choice in the index rather than searching my hard drive for everything available. Does MediaMonkey allow this?
Yes it does. Automatic folder monitoring is reserved for the Gold version only.

Only one caveat: if you're a Last.fm user, the official client thereof doesn't support MediaMonkey natively and you'll either have to hack support into MediaMonkey or use an unofficial plugin, which brings its own problems.

Why are you moving from WMP anyway if it served your purposes for a year?
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby Golgo1 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:37 pm

Winamp is great, especially if you just want something to play yer dang music. Very low resource consumption and no fancy la-ti-da features you dont need.
On the flip to that however, if you're actually looking for a music organiser and really want those la-ti-da features, you may find winamp a little sparse.

Personally love it... also has plenty of plugins for FireFox
Am I the ONLY one who remembers that video KILLED the radio star?
There are two kinds of people in this world: people who can extrapolate from incomplete data
Golgo1

Postby jb » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:31 pm

Why leave WMP? Partly because the grass is always greener elsewhere. I have a few annoying problems which are most likely user errors. I adjust the tag data frequently. Sometimes the artist name is included in the song title and so forth. Also I eliminate comments and other things which may have been stuck on the file. The Musicmatch tag system seemed better but I can't say exactly how. Hey, maybe WMP isn't so bad after all.
jb

Postby LANjackal » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:38 am

jb wrote:Why leave WMP? Partly because the grass is always greener elsewhere. I have a few annoying problems which are most likely user errors. I adjust the tag data frequently. Sometimes the artist name is included in the song title and so forth. Also I eliminate comments and other things which may have been stuck on the file. The Musicmatch tag system seemed better but I can't say exactly how. Hey, maybe WMP isn't so bad after all.
Right click on the song within WMP and select "Advanced Tag Editor".

HOWEVER

For proper tag editing, nothing beats MP3tag, which is not a player but a tagging utility. http://www.mp3tag.de/en/
LANjackal

Return to Tech/Software Discussion