Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

OldSkool Logitec QuickCam Issue

This is the forum to discuss tech-software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

OldSkool Logitec QuickCam Issue

Postby IceCube » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:42 pm

Remember those old grey coloured Logitec quickcam that everyone use to have? I still have one and I've had issues for months now with it.

For the longest time now, every time I plugged it into the USB port, I always got this error that basically says, 'The device has malfunctioned. Windows was unable to find the appropriate drivers'

Well, also for the longest time, I couldn't find the darn CD to re-install the drivers - that was, until today. The wrapper has a bunch of weird yellow stuff smeared and dried to it (what the heck it is or how the heck it got on there, I'll never know) but I threw in the CD and it worked thankfully. I ran the installation CD and made it perform a repair operation. I think it repaired a bunch of corrupted things, so I thought my troubles were over. After it was finished, I ran the installed software to use the quickcam and tried getting it to take a picture. An error pops up saying that the device is already in use. WTF? I look everywhere, but can't find what is actually using the thing. I try clicking on the 'create a video' and it just says 'unable to save to ___movie0008.avi'

Normally, the preview window has what the cam is seeing, but it just has a picture that appears to be telling me to plug it in. I pull the plug and plug it back in, but nothing changes. Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?
IceCube

Re: OldSkool Logitec QuickCam Issue

Postby el33tcrew » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:39 pm

I didn't think anyone still knew what one of those was. I had the same issues that you are having. I found that if I had there software package running, I wasn't able to use any other software that allowed usage of the CAM feature and vice versa.

Would you be trying to use the CAM in another piece of software, or are you only currently trying to get there current software package to function. Sorry If this isn't much help, maybe with a bit more information I can make a comparison to my own experiences. I actually have the same model sitting in front of me I'm going to see if I can replicate the error again.

You may even want to try and download the latest package that is provided by Logitech I found that the software version I was using from the CD was unresponsive. I may even have a copy of the latest software, that I can throw up so you can test against your current one.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/480/3378&cl=us,en

**I May be wrong but I do believe windows XP (possibly other versions) has a built in Webcam feature that you can be utilized through My Computer, so I would plug the CAM in and look inside My Computer and make sure that windows itself isn't trying to run the CAM in the background. I do believe that was the cause to my ongoing problem.
el33tcrew

Re: OldSkool Logitec QuickCam Issue

Postby IceCube » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:50 pm

Thanks for the link. I'll see if I can get that updated since it wouldn't auto-update. Though, interestingly enough, that's a newer version (in the link) The CD says that it's version 6.0, so I tihnk I'll have to poke around in that link to see what I can find.
IceCube

Return to Tech/Software Discussion