Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

I have joined the cult of NOD

This is the forum to discuss tech-software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

I have joined the cult of NOD

Postby LANjackal » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:49 pm

The free McAfee Security Center *retches* trial subscription that came with my laptop expired today, so I decided to switch to something else.

On XP Pro SP2, my top choice was Kapersky Internet Security Suite 6, because of its firewall capabilities. However, since my current OS (Vista) ships with a powerful SPI firewall, there's no need for a 3rd party app for that function.

Hence my choice of NOD32. Less expensive than the rest, too. Extremely lightweight, actually ships with a well written PDF manual (I'm surprised) and installed in no time.

I don't foresee any problems :).
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby el33tcrew » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:10 pm

NOD32 is a absolutely excellent real-time antivirus program. I had it recommended in numerous places throughout the IT field. You will surely never be unsatisfied with the switch :-)
el33tcrew

Postby ntscuser » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:28 pm

I remember when McAfee Security Centre expired on my PC I had a devil of job deleting it :evil:
ntscuser

Postby LANjackal » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:10 pm

ntscuser wrote:I remember when McAfee Security Centre expired on my PC I had a devil of job deleting it :evil:

Ummm Control Panel -> Programs and Features* -> McAfee Security Center -> Uninstall worked for me

* Vista uses this instead of XP's Add/Remove Programs
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby caldis » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:14 am

I have been using NOD for 3 or 4 years now. It has never failed me so far.

But... it has some troubles with a certain packer for .exe files. I don't know which packer it is but sometimes the cpu usage jumps up really high when I download some .exe. This renders the computer almost useless until the file is downloaded completely.

Anyone else ever seen this behaviour?
caldis

Postby Bruce Wayne » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:04 am

It's a great program been using it for 4 years now
never had a problem :)

And for .exe problem i have that sometime i download one and the computer freeze for 5 to 10 seconds.

But it's pretty rare i get that maybe once a month...
Bruce Wayne

Postby aizurd » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:44 am

only 2 virus scanners I use is nod32 and kaspersky. I use to believe AVG was good until I done a scan on my pc with nod32 and kasperksy and found a 5 different nasties that avg missed.
aizurd

Postby napho » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:08 am

aizurd wrote:only 2 virus scanners I use is nod32 and kaspersky. I use to believe AVG was good until I done a scan on my pc with nod32 and kasperksy and found a 5 different nasties that avg missed.

I use Nod32 but are you sure those were really viruses? Programs now have alot of false positives and they also include spyware, which really isn't their job. Was your computer damaged, or was it a total surprise that you had those 5?
btw this looks impressive, but I don't know how accurate

http://antivirus-software.6starreviews. ... Pgodi1bbLw
napho

Postby Kullt » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:00 am

I have to agree NOD is a great antivirus, fast, reliable, real install and forget software. I made the switch from crappy Norton when it lied to me about deleting a trojan (told me it had, checked the file and its still there).

I have however switched again to avast!, seems to be very good but it's early days yet. Anyone have any input or nags about avast!???
Kullt

Postby caldis » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:40 am

Well, I have to use avast at work and I never really feel I have full control over the behaviour.

Configuring all the file types to be scanned or the type of scan to run during live file system operations etc.

Dunno maybe I am just so used to NOD32. The switch between antivirus tools is just like a switch between OS's. You need to trust the new one to work just as good or even better than the old one.
caldis

Postby sonnentier » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:11 pm

ntscuser wrote:I remember when McAfee Security Centre expired on my PC I had a devil of job deleting it :evil:
Yeah me too, and I still have the impression it left over some lag in the system..

McAfee Security Center is such a ressource hog if you have all the features enabled! It looked like bloated crap, e.g. that you need to enter extra password to access the internet etc.. wonder how much all the features actually help with security lol..
sonnentier

Postby piXelatedEmpire » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:24 pm

I always used NOD32 when I used an antivirus app. Now, I don't worry too much about them.
Ross Wheeler, CEO of Albury.net.au, referring to the Australian Governments internet filtering plan wrote:"It's the most ill-conceived pile of stupidity by the biggest bunch of cretins that I've ever seen in my life"
piXelatedEmpire

Postby JR007 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:02 pm

NOD is the best for sure. I have been using it for quite some time. Glad your using it too bro! :D
JR007

Postby MrFredPFL » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:32 pm

Kullt wrote:I have to agree NOD is a great antivirus, fast, reliable, real install and forget software. I made the switch from crappy Norton when it lied to me about deleting a trojan (told me it had, checked the file and its still there).

I have however switched again to avast!, seems to be very good but it's early days yet. Anyone have any input or nags about avast!???

the last time i researched avast, it was rated pretty poorly by a LOT of sources.
MrFredPFL

Postby cacahead » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:33 am

Yea, NOD is one of the only programs that I actually pay for just because of its quality. I think of Nortons as a virus itself.
cacahead

Re: I have joined the cult of NOD

Postby Royce » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:34 am

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

It's the source I trust the most for a-v info.
NOD32 holds its own, not as solid as Kaspersky or AntiVir, but solid.
Avast Pro is a reasonable solution as well, but the free edition is not a choice if quality protection is the goal. But, that can be said for any of the no cost alternatives.

Long time slick folks. I still miss the software updates on the main page, but other than that, sites beautiful these days.
The wages of sin are death, but by the time taxes are taken out, it's just sort of a tired feeling.
- Paula Poundstone
Royce

Postby TcE » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:19 am

nod32 (have and use its just great)
kaspersky (have dont use but hear its just as good as nod32)
avg (has gone way down hill stopped using 1.5 years ago)
<<I Just Read my PM's>> - - - YEY
TcE

Postby LANjackal » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:30 am

TcE wrote:nod32 (have and use its just great)
kaspersky (have dont use but hear its just as good as nod32)
In terms of being lightweight, Kapersky is a bit heavier than NOD, and unlike NOD it offers a security suite solution (which makes it my top choice for XP systems). The UI is also somewhat easier. It usually beats NOD in virus security tests, but I think the expertise of the average NOD user more than makes up for that.
LANjackal

Return to Tech/Software Discussion