Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Adobe Acrobat Reader 7 won't close

This is the forum to discuss tech-software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Adobe Acrobat Reader 7 won't close

Postby HEAT84 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:19 am

I even tried ending the process and the process tree (even though acrord32.exe probably isn't part of one). I also tried a 3rd party process viewer. Its like its halfway closed. All that remains of it is its taskbar button. Its listed as not responding on the programs tab of task manager. I'm more interested in why this is happening than trying to close the program since rebooting will make it go away. Does anyone know where I can find a program called Ramhak? I bet that would do the trick.
[Under Construction]
HEAT84
Official Slyck Conspiracy Nut

Postby IneptVagrant » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:01 pm

I had that problem for awhile, only happened when you launched inside a browser.. eventually I realized I should just dl the pdf, and open afterwards -- instead of inside browser. Went away when I reinstalled OSes, magically ;-)

I don't believe reinstalling Reader helped.. mabey reinstalling FF and Reader will... iono.
IneptVagrant

Location: close the world . . . . . . . . . . . . . . txEn eht nepO

pdf reader

Postby rommy667 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:51 pm

The best answer to this is use foxit as its WAY better than the one you are using :)
rommy667

Postby HEAT84 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:25 pm

I wasn't reading a PDF in a browser. If I remember correcly, I was trying to print over a network and it wasn't working properly and Adobe hung. And I closed it with the "End Now" button in the "Program not responding" window.

Something weird just happened. I have a program called Unlocker which shows you what processes are keeping you from closing a program and and it also "Unlocks" that program and can do a few things with it. I was able to move acrord32.exe and its still listed as a process on the process tab. :shock:
[Under Construction]
HEAT84
Official Slyck Conspiracy Nut

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:24 pm

i have to agree with rommy here. i am not sure what is going on with your acrobat, but i have nothing but good things to say about foxit - small footprint, light resource use, never a single error from it yet. i was thrilled to be able to dump acrobat :)
MrFredPFL

Postby Psisquared » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:04 pm

I had a similar problem at work when trying to print a pdf. Acrobat reader would just hang when I tried to print and would put up great resistance to being shut down. The problem was that the printer, for whatever reason, was unreachable (maybe its memory was full, maybe it had a network communication issue, I don't know). When I shut off and turned the printer on, the problem went away, I was able to print, and acrobat reader behaved normally.
Last edited by Psisquared on Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The quick brown fox jumps over a lazy dog.
Psisquared

Location: Impossible to ascertain due to uncertainty principle

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:11 pm

interesting, psi. sounds like some careless coding on adobe's part.
MrFredPFL

Postby in_hiding » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:30 am

re recommendations for foxit, I have to add a word of warning:
yes it's fast
yes it's small
but... the only times I've ever managed to BSOD Windows XP (on a machine that BSODed 3~4 times a day under Win98 :x ) were using non-Adobe PDF readers, specifically Zinio Reader and yes Foxit Reader. But the last time I tried was a year ago at least, maybe it doesn't happen anymore.
Forum Rules: Avatars shall not exceed a data size of 2OØ kilobytes.
in_hiding

Return to Tech/Software Discussion