Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Don't Click Links Right Away on MSN

This is the forum to discuss tech-software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Don't Click Links Right Away on MSN

Postby IceCube » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:35 pm

I wanted to share this bit of info with everyone. Every so often, a contact of mine will pass along something like this (link legitimized)

Contact wrote:www.slyck.com <- Look! :shock:

The first time I saw this, I responded to the contact asking about what it is instead of clicking on the link. I never got a response.

A few days later, I got an identical message from the same contact and I responded asking why he kept sending me that. Again, no response.

A few weeks later, another contact that I haven't seen online sends me a similar message where it was the same as the above, only a different URL and no 'Look!' The difference this time was that the user wasn't even online (though, yes, a contact I knew of from a while ago)

A little while later after that, I notice the first contact changing his nic to, "Some idiot put a virus on my computer. Do not download any files you receive from me."

I'm reasonably convinced this has been going on for a while, but I'm also sure there's something malicious with these websites. So a word of caution for anyone who uses MSN. If a contact, even one that's been on your list for a long time, starts a convo with a link, make sure that contact is available to give you a brief definition in response to your question before you click on anything.

Additional bit of good news for me is that I don't use my MSN e-Mail anymore. Oh yeah, don't bother PMing me for you to add me to your MSN list. I'll contact you if I want it.
IceCube

Postby LANjackal » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:23 pm

This has been happening for several years now on nearly all IM networks. I get the same thing on both AIM and MSN, albeit with different links. Never click them. I think I first saw it in 2004/2005.
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby IneptVagrant » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:56 pm

I saw it with ICQ in the late 90s... my ICQ number was only 6 digits, but I don't know the account info anymore lol.

Send em back a msg, that they should run a virus scan! Thou some viruses are smart enough to temporarily "filter" your replies, so you don't know it wasn't received, and they don't know you sent them a msg... so wait a few minutes before replying.

The Viruses come and go, my network of contacts had one going around about 4 months ago... got IMed by 6 or 7 ppl a day with the links for about a week. Till the word got out amoung them.
IneptVagrant

Location: close the world . . . . . . . . . . . . . . txEn eht nepO

Re: Don't Click Links Right Away on MSN

Postby thejynxed » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:16 am

Wow 6 digits? Mine was only 4... not too far apart then, because that was right about the time ICQ started making the rounds at the unis and the numbers exploded.

Anyhow, yes, there are several AIM/MSN/YIM worms/trojans going about that infect via IM and then contact everyone on your contacts lists trying to infect them as well. They usually are of the garden-variety password stealing/WoW account thieving type. I use GAIM and laugh when I get those messages, because I have it set that no urls are clickable (plain text only), and show the entire url instead of the obfuscated/shortened urls that those infections spew out.
"FlickR is supposed to be weird, fun, experimental, way out-there -- oh no, wait, now that it's so close to being part of Microsoft, FlickR's supposed to bore people to death and empty their pockets while pretending to innovate." - Bruce Sterling
thejynxed

Postby IneptVagrant » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:12 am

Many years ago (for me aleast) a friend's friend thought it would be kewl to bomb their friend. Some malformed IM packet that crashed AIM when it received it. Of course my friend couldn't figure out why her AIM kept crashing, cause she was retarded about stuff. So while looking at the problem, I loged in using Trillian. Turned out in Trillian, I could see the IM packet on so I knew he was trying to send me something that he shouldn't. Asked him why he kept sending me retarded msg, he asked "what do you mean?", so I copy/pasted it and sent it back -- crashed HIS client, lol. Oh man he was confused when he logged back in. Did it a couple more times, now that I knew what was going on. He called me a few names and got blocked. Blocking him prevented him from sending packets to the AIM client and solved the crash problems. Didn't bother to tell my friend what was up, just told her guy had been an asshole to me so I had blocked him, keep it that way, and that I had done some magic so she wouldn't have anymore problems. Was funny shit.
IneptVagrant

Location: close the world . . . . . . . . . . . . . . txEn eht nepO

Postby sonnentier » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:01 am

I also got many such links from my contacts. Especially in russia one kind of those worms was widely spread.
Their MSN wasn't visible on the victim's machine, but the bot kept referring contacts to spam-like servers, if you clicked it and your default browser was Internet Explorer, the launch of the ~100kB .pif was on the go.
I often sent those files to Anti-Virus Corporations, as many versions of this worm weren't identified yet (warezov variants, I think).
Besides Viruses, clicking unknown links also puts you to risk opening unwanted content.. another aspect but also relevant.
sonnentier

Postby bluebird » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:04 am

I got one a month ago...asking if i wanted to 'see some secret photo's'!!!
The fact that the sender was my younger brother kind of gave it away :roll: :lol:
I phoned him but it had already been sent to and opened by a few of his contacts..guess its a learning curve for most people
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Douglas Adams

If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun x
bluebird
Shopping Fairy

Return to Tech/Software Discussion