Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Do i have the wrong idea? I am trying to block...

This is the forum to discuss tech-software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Do i have the wrong idea? I am trying to block...

Postby georgegad » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:02 am

I am trying to block a tracker. www_moviex.
I use ipfilter.dat to block other stuff but i dont have an ip number for them
I tried whereis, but it doesnt seem as usefull as it used to be, i got 300+ xxx movie site responses.

I like to try new things so i looked inside the torrent file and erased their names from the list but this only served to break my torrent(I know people out there are prob laughing at my feeble code skills, but i fixed it OK, so I am not too embarrised)

It is kind of an experiment, i dont even know if i can/should be blocking a tracker or what will happen if i do but honestly i am just sick of them asking me to go to their site all the time and advertising their crp everywhere with bots. Honest sites shouldnt need to be so pushey.

No rush guys, I stopped their torrent and got the same file elsewhere, but am just curious if it can be done automatically or something, i read the forums but it seemed my problem was a little different than anything posted already
georgegad

Postby IneptVagrant » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:54 am

if you know the tracker location, you know its ip, just do a "ping" on it, and it will give you the IP back.

Also you can block by hostname, using the "HOSTS" file, research it. Have to restart each time you edit it thou, for it to take affect.
IneptVagrant

Location: close the world . . . . . . . . . . . . . . txEn eht nepO

Postby TcE » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:08 pm

you can remove the tracker from the torrent once its loaded by right click in utorrent and hit properties or double click in azureus on the torrent then right click on the torrent url and hit edit

im guessing this is what your doing but ya ping the trackers name get the ip and your set either way
<<I Just Read my PM's>> - - - YEY
TcE

Thanx

Postby georgegad » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:00 pm

Nice! Two things for me to look into. Thanks for the help both of you.
georgegad

Host files are the coolest

Postby georgegad » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:48 am

Thanks again!
How can I have not known about my hosts file? It is such a great help, why isnt everyone told about this the day they first buy a computer? I hope you didnt get banned from the stonecutters for telling me. But even if you did it was worth it to me. thankyou.

IF YOU HAPPEN TO BE READING THIS AND DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR HOSTS FILE CAN DO FOR YOU. ...FIND OUT!
really, it helps with getting rid of unwanted stuff, and its not that complex if you read up on it first.
georgegad

Re: Host files are the coolest

Postby Winston84 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:54 am

georgegad wrote:Thanks again!
How can I have not known about my hosts file? It is such a great help, why isnt everyone told about this the day they first buy a computer?.

Because that would mean people would start to understand HOW it works and that would make them "hackers". besides "they" have no interest in teaching you how to block all their commercial crap without spending a dime on it ..
Winston84

Return to Tech/Software Discussion