Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

I wanna downgrade my new laptop from Vista to XP

This is the forum to discuss tech-software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

I wanna downgrade my new laptop from Vista to XP

Postby HH85 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:22 pm

Hi there, I wonder if anyone would be able to help...

So I've just ordered myself a recon'd 12.1" Packard Bell Easynote (the BU45-O-002) to replace my somewhat aging Easynote R1938.

I'd really like to downgrade its OS from Vista to XP once it arrives as I have some personal apps which aren't Vista compatible (and won't ever be) and for speed/performance. I also just plain prefer XP SP2 over Vista anyway.

Basically, what's worrying me is whether I'll run into any problems... I know I can get XP drivers for the majority of hardware direct from the manufactuers sites (like Synaptics touchpad drivers, Realtek audio drivers, etc.) but other more obscure hardware like the "Genesys Card Reader" only appear to have Vista drivers available on Packard Bell's support site. Also "EasyNote MX/BU Series Keyboard and OSD Driver" only appears available for Vista, I assume this is just for special keys?

Any thoughts? :)

Thanks in advance... :D
HH85

Postby CptAmerica » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:26 pm

if i were you i would be searching the manufacturers website for drivers instead of packard bell's.

you'll probably find that they have the xp drivers you're looking for.
CptAmerica

Postby HouseCrowd » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:58 am

Why not remove the HDD and create a full back-up image of it first, using something like Acronis? That way, if it doesn't work out and/or you can't find all the drivers, you can easily go back to how it was. Better still, buy a second HDD and just install XP on that, keeping the original HDD as the backup. Being able to easily return back to the OEM Vista system backup will be handy if you sell the laptop later too.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Return to Tech/Software Discussion