Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Wireless encryption Software

This is the forum to discuss tech-software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Wireless encryption Software

Postby SlyckTom » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:26 pm

Hi all,

I remember there was a good wireless security software that encrypts the transmission between the computer and access point (other than WEP, WPA, etc). Supposedly its valuable in enhancing the protection of such things as passwords, emails, and other personal details. The name of the software eludes me...but any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Postby Artie » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:43 pm

Tom,

Do you know what the encryption name of it was? While I think that WPA is secure enough, other ones such as SSL, Triple-DES, Blowfish, and especially AES, are impossible to break (short of quantum brute-forcing). I don't know the name of the software, since I don't use one myself, but I would assume there's many out there of its kind, and would be relatively easy to find given the name of the encryption scheme.
Artie

Postby thejynxed » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:32 pm

You asking about RADIUS or DIAMETER?

As far as I understand, those are just authentication servers that encrypt logins, VPNs, etc.

If you are referring to something like WPA, then the latest is WPA2.

If you mean end-to-end encryption, that is a rather large kettle of fish to jump into. You can use PGP, etc, etc, but often, you not only have to encrypt the data, but also each and every single connection, every single time it's used. Unfortunately for us, that usually means manually unless you are willing to code your own or pay the big bucks for the software. It can be done, but it's rather a pain for anything smaller than a middling-sized corporation.

It would help to know more specifically what you are attempting to do :)
Last edited by thejynxed on Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"FlickR is supposed to be weird, fun, experimental, way out-there -- oh no, wait, now that it's so close to being part of Microsoft, FlickR's supposed to bore people to death and empty their pockets while pretending to innovate." - Bruce Sterling
thejynxed

Postby SlyckTom » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:35 pm

Naw, I dont think that's it. It's like Air Guard or Air Secure...something like that...
SlyckTom

Postby thejynxed » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:46 pm

"FlickR is supposed to be weird, fun, experimental, way out-there -- oh no, wait, now that it's so close to being part of Microsoft, FlickR's supposed to bore people to death and empty their pockets while pretending to innovate." - Bruce Sterling
thejynxed

Postby SlyckTom » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:53 am

Yes, I think that might be it. Basically its software that can encrypt a transmission over an open network - say at a hotel or airport - and I wanted to check an email or send private information...
SlyckTom

Postby IneptVagrant » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:45 pm

All the techs mentions so far rely on the security of the access point. I think what you really want is VPN, like openVPN. Hamachi can do it too, but you have change your route tables, its abit tricky.
IneptVagrant

Location: close the world . . . . . . . . . . . . . . txEn eht nepO

Return to Tech/Software Discussion