Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Recent Files Help

This is the forum to discuss tech-software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Recent Files Help

Postby Vampirescu » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:42 pm

Is there anyway to view a recent files that are not in your recent document list cause it was a day or 2 ago?
Yar Har Fiddle De De, Being a Pirate is Alright With Me. Do What You Want Cause a Pirate is Free! You Are a Pirate!
Vampirescu

Postby Vampirescu » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:04 pm

found this....how do i do it lol
Open your registry and find the key below.

Create a new DWORD value called "MaxRecentDocs" and set it to equal the number of documents to display in the recent documents list, the default is 15.

Restart Windows for the change to take efftec.

-
Registry Settings
User Key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
Explorer]
System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
Explorer]
Value Name: MaxRecentDocs
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: Number of Documents (32-bit)
Yar Har Fiddle De De, Being a Pirate is Alright With Me. Do What You Want Cause a Pirate is Free! You Are a Pirate!
Vampirescu

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:07 pm

interesting. do you have a link for the info you provided? i am a bit confused, because they say "find the key" - but then they seem to refer to two different keys. rather than blindly tell you what to do, i'd prefer to see the original instructions first. not sure if they're saying to create the same new entry in two different places or what.
MrFredPFL

Postby Vampirescu » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:14 pm

never mind fixed it YAY found lost advertising photos!

oh that was the link http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/828/
Vampirescu

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:19 pm

ok, which key did u add the value for? or did u do both?
MrFredPFL

Postby thejynxed » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:09 pm

HKEY_CURRENT_USER specifies registry settings for the currently logged in user only.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE specifies registry setting machine-wide, no matter which user logs in.

You place new keys under the first heading if you just want it to affect a single account (the logged in one), and you place new keys under the second heading to affect system-wide settings. Think of them as single and global keys.

You could place the new key value under either one, but doing both would be redundant, see.

Hope this helps explain things a bit.

P.S. - I completely disabled recent documents, because that info is stored and sent back to MS whenever you connect to their servers. Just thought you'd like to know (especially during Microsoft Updates and Error Reporting, the contents of the various Index.dat files and several other registry keys and hidden files also receive the same treatment).
"FlickR is supposed to be weird, fun, experimental, way out-there -- oh no, wait, now that it's so close to being part of Microsoft, FlickR's supposed to bore people to death and empty their pockets while pretending to innovate." - Bruce Sterling
thejynxed

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:19 pm

thanks jynxed, and wow, had no idea billybob was phoning home with that list :evil:
MrFredPFL

Postby Vampirescu » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:54 pm

hmm first computer i tryed it on it worked, second one which is the one that i needed it to work on somehow deleted my recent document list.....shit thought i would get those photos back.....ill try the other key and see if thats what i did wrong
Vampirescu

Postby thejynxed » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:01 pm

You think that is scary: I actually read the hex data that was generated for one of those Error Reports that happened when a less than legit program of mine decided to barf all over the place...let us say, that not only did Windows somehow know that the program in question was using a cracked .exe file instead of a serial, but that they outright said this info in the hex dump for the report! That quickly ended Error Reporting for me, and I completely removed the service from my Windows installation using a nice service deletion tool from the Win2k Admin Tools pack (it also works on removing services from WinXP).
"FlickR is supposed to be weird, fun, experimental, way out-there -- oh no, wait, now that it's so close to being part of Microsoft, FlickR's supposed to bore people to death and empty their pockets while pretending to innovate." - Bruce Sterling
thejynxed

Postby Vampirescu » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:01 pm

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
Explorer dosnt exist lol
Vampirescu

Postby IneptVagrant » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:41 pm

Create a empty txt file, rename it whatever.reg (make sure you can see known extensions so it doesn't end up whatever.reg.txt)

copy and paste this into it.

Code: Select all
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer]
"MaxRecentDocs"=dword:0000000f

Save, and dbl click, "ok" to accept. Will create the key you need. Then use regedit to set it to the value you need.
IneptVagrant

Location: close the world . . . . . . . . . . . . . . txEn eht nepO

Return to Tech/Software Discussion