Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Software NAT, anyone?

This is the forum to discuss tech-software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Software NAT, anyone?

Postby IneptVagrant » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:54 am

For various reasons, I don't have ICS on my windows box and since it is my user box, I don't want to mess with any of the popular linux solutions. And I don't want to spend 50$ on a router.

Anyone know a free NAT prog for windows? I've spent a few days on this already, and don't expect anything. So as a runner up question, any word on wired-routers under 25$ USD after shipping, and where would be kewl. I don't believe in the wireless.
IneptVagrant

Location: close the world . . . . . . . . . . . . . . txEn eht nepO

Postby thejynxed » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:17 pm

"FlickR is supposed to be weird, fun, experimental, way out-there -- oh no, wait, now that it's so close to being part of Microsoft, FlickR's supposed to bore people to death and empty their pockets while pretending to innovate." - Bruce Sterling
thejynxed

Postby IneptVagrant » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:47 pm

NAT32 is a good prog, I had played with it for awhile before posting -- the underground failed me ultimately. And the shareware has a 2hr time limit on it. But author wants 25$ for it, would much rather have a hardware router as its the same cost.

Thx for the info!
IneptVagrant

Location: close the world . . . . . . . . . . . . . . txEn eht nepO

Postby thejynxed » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:58 am

Yeah, I kind of figured any software solution would be flaky at best. The only way I could think to avoid this is if you took an old junker pc you might still have in your closet, installed Smoothwall, some gateway software, etc or something similar on it and used that instead.

But that is too much hassle.

Just get one of those routers from Newegg if you can, they all have good user ratings and reviews, and are the cheapest retail non-open box router packages I could find.
"FlickR is supposed to be weird, fun, experimental, way out-there -- oh no, wait, now that it's so close to being part of Microsoft, FlickR's supposed to bore people to death and empty their pockets while pretending to innovate." - Bruce Sterling
thejynxed

Return to Tech/Software Discussion