Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

windows help

This is the forum to discuss tech-software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

windows help

Postby ch1 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:25 pm

I am running windows vista home prem. and i use Mozilla Foxfire and IE and every time i want to save a web page that i want to aceses quickly from my desktop i save as and put the short cut to my desktop. When i click on the short cut i get this ( Windows cannot find this http/www. whatever the web site maybe) make sure you type the name correctly and them try again, and then the web site comes up as normal . I get this error and the site come up any way . How do i fix this problem thanks.
it has been a long time
ch1

Postby MrFredPFL » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:38 pm

moved to software discussion. you might also want to edit your subject and change it to something that tells a prospective helper WHAT you need help with in windows ;)
MrFredPFL

Postby Artie » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:54 pm

I don't know why it does that exactly, so it must be a rare Windows error of some kind. I couldn't say otherwise.

For IE, instead of going to "Save As", just right-click on the page and go to "Create Shortcut". See if that works. FF doesn't have that option, but the "Save As" should do the trick.

If possible, can you open up a shortcut file in Notepad or another text editor and paste the contents of it on here? If the URL is valid, then there's really no reason it shouldn't work.
Artie

windows help

Postby ch1 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:55 pm

thanks . sorry for putting this in the wrong place. what i need is how to make error go away when i put a short cut on my desktop thanks again
it has been a long time
ch1

Postby IneptVagrant » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:47 am

In either IE or FF, simply drag the icon from the address bar to your desktop. This will create a shortcut that will load the webpage. If the web page requires log-in credentials, you will need to link to the log-in page. This is no different than a 'bookmark'.

Alternatively, you may want an 'off-line' copy that can be opened when you don't have a internet connection. This is not useful most of the time, as you can not get any new information or browse outside of the webpage. In this case you would do "Save As...", "Web Page, complete" or "Web Archive"
IneptVagrant

Location: close the world . . . . . . . . . . . . . . txEn eht nepO

windows help

Postby ch1 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:44 am

Thanks i will try it . thanks again for the help
it has been a long time
ch1

windows help

Postby ch1 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:51 am

Thanks, that worked great, I had forgot about this way. Thanks for the info.
it has been a long time
ch1

Return to Tech/Software Discussion