Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Google problems? What do you think?

This is the forum to discuss tech-software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Google problems? What do you think?

Postby Wham » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:02 pm

Those who are interested in what's going on with Google should be aware that Google has some vulnerability problems. I, for one, decided to remove Google from my computer because of these problems.

My gut feeling tells me that Google will be unable to fix their problems because they have embetted themselves too deeply with the windows operating system.

I would like to hear from the experts on this subject, or from just plain old users what they think.
Wham

Postby Wham » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:42 pm

Well, after I removed all traces of Google, I got rid of 99 percent of all my junk email. That fact alone, is well worth removing Google as far as I am concerned.
Wham

Postby MrFredPFL » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:51 pm

whereas i do not subscribe to your level of paranoia, wham ;) - i personally would never have installed their stuff to begin with :)

and that goes for anyone's integrated search utility, or heaven forbid, TOOLBAR :shock:
MrFredPFL

Postby Artie » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:52 pm

Might as well unhook your computer from the Internet while you're at it.

Being justifiably paranoid is one thing. Being paranoid to a fault is another.

Sorry, but I just have to call it the way I see it.
Artie

Postby Artie » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:53 pm

Wow, Fred read my mind and stole my words before I had a chance to hit submit.

I should start feeling a bit paranoid myself now. :shock:
Artie

Postby Wham » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:36 pm

Thank's for all the responses guys and gals. I guess I am alone in my thinking as usual. For those of you who think a lot differently than I or think I am paranoid, you are wrong about me being paranoid. I try everything and anything. That's the only way you find out about things.

The reason I started this thread was to try to shed a little light on those of you who do use Google and at the same time do file sharing. After all this is Slyck. Google and file sharing don't mix. Privacy, what little you can get on the internet becomes more and more critical if you are file sharing.
Wham

Postby MrFredPFL » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:42 pm

alone in your thinking? i thought i was agreeing with you. oh well.
MrFredPFL

Postby zbeast » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:17 pm

When you say google..
I'm guessing your talking about google talk, gmail, google.com, google map, google...etc..

I've never has any trouble out of any of these applications.

What you deleted your gmail account so now you think your getting less spam?
Ya, not having a mail account will do that.
All mail services get spam the amazing thing about gmail is that it puts spam in the spam folder where it belongs rather that intermixed good mail.
I'm guessing your using hotmail now.?!

I even use Google desktop search... which is better than microsoft's desktop search.
As for google's products being flawed and in some way "deeply embedded" with your computers so much that your having people running exploits on your system.

I cant say I've ever heard or seen anything like that.

I'm not a Google fan girl but I am a heavy user of there products.
The only flaw I've ever seen with Google products are, their word process does not have built in spelling correction.
The screen saver some times does not start up on my computer.

So your user experience is totally unique I know a lot of people who use "google products" from software engineers to Network engineers and they love it.

By the by I use Google products on the same computer that I run 3 difference p2p applications on at the same time and they work find together.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.
zbeast

Postby Wham » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:31 am

Exactly, Zbeast. I agree with you. A lot of people do use Google. As a matter of fact, I know very few people who don't use Google. As for deleting my email, the only email I'm not getting anymore is unsolicited junk email. I still say, Google and file sharing don't mix and I'm glad I quit using Google. I will say no more on the subject.
Wham

Postby piglets222 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:11 am

MrFredPFL wrote:whereas i do not subscribe to your level of paranoia, wham ;) - i personally would never have installed their stuff to begin with :)

and that goes for anyone's integrated search utility, or heaven forbid, TOOLBAR :shock:

ah but you dont have to install their stuff... the nice people at dell are nice enough to pre-install it for you :)

see my thread here: http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... highlight= people are already saying its like spyware: difficult to find, hard to remove and doesnt seem to be very helpful >.<
piglets222

Postby thejynxed » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:10 pm

Yes, aren't companies so helpful in that way?

BTW, Picasa and Google Desktop Search both suck. If you can't be bothered to organize your stuff into proper folder tree structure, well...lazy bastards :P

I use GMail and several extensions to GMail in Firefox. I use iGoogle as well, and am currently in the middle of setting up Google Reader. I have no problem using these tools.

The thing with Google, is that it wants to be the start and end of all information on the interweb. Well, that is a good and bad thing depending on how you look at it. Sure, it's a vast repository of knowledge, but it's also a sinkhole of sorts...get yourself pulled in too deep and you ain't gettin' out.
"FlickR is supposed to be weird, fun, experimental, way out-there -- oh no, wait, now that it's so close to being part of Microsoft, FlickR's supposed to bore people to death and empty their pockets while pretending to innovate." - Bruce Sterling
thejynxed

Postby JolietJake » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:15 pm

When you have a lot of po...er..files, it can be hard to remember exactly what folder/subfolder they are in. Even if they are organized well.
You can't trust freedom when it's not in your hand.
JolietJake

Postby thejynxed » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:22 pm

Ahhh, but my friend, Autopatcher is to the rescue!

They have a directory listing tool that you can install (with a right click menu option available after installation), that lets you print out the contents of any directory to a text file, viewable at your leisure.

This is called Dir2File, and is located under the Registry Tweaks > Functionality options in Autopatcher.

It's an extremely useful tool (almost as useful as Total Commander or similar file management tools).

Also, courtesy of Lifehacker.com, you might want to read these interesting threads on file management and searching:

XPlorer2 File Manager

Using Firefox as a file manager via IETab

Metadata as a filing system on Windows

Windows Vista Tips:

Save your searches into virtual folders

Speed up Vista's Start Menu Search
"FlickR is supposed to be weird, fun, experimental, way out-there -- oh no, wait, now that it's so close to being part of Microsoft, FlickR's supposed to bore people to death and empty their pockets while pretending to innovate." - Bruce Sterling
thejynxed

Return to Tech/Software Discussion