Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Access To A Hidden Partition?

This is the forum to discuss tech-software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Access To A Hidden Partition?

Postby jokster » Tue May 01, 2007 11:23 am

Well as it says above is there an app that will let me install from or browse a hidden partition?
The history is this, i bought a new pc and set about ridding it of all the crap preinstalled (including roxio creator), the TssTcorp TS-H653A dvd burner has been bollixed since day one and i have tried everything to sort it (firmwares, uninstalling the drive and reinstalling it etc), now some tech support guy tells me i have to have roxio in to test the burner before they will look into a warranty replacement as they havent tested nero with that drive!? So no chance of me buying that, but as all this is on the restore partition i thought.... hey i could nab it from there!
Any suggestions slycksters?
Capitalism Is Cannibalism
Resistance is fertile
jokster

Postby Fartingbob » Tue May 01, 2007 11:30 am

Just format the bastard out of existance. It'll remove all the pointless stuff in one clean go, and providing the OS isnt installed on the same partition you'll be ok. If it is then you'll have to re-install that as well, but they should have given you a CD or serial code for re-installation.
Why did you buy a computer with preloaded junk? Have we taught you nothing!? :lol:
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby jokster » Tue May 01, 2007 1:08 pm

why, because a bargin is a bargin!
i cant be arsed reformatting i've just got all me apps and crap installed. At the end of the day i can get roxio through other means, i just thought because i know the bugger is there i could get at it with only a wee bit of hassle.
Capitalism Is Cannibalism
Resistance is fertile
jokster

Postby stoic » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:34 pm

Boot with a linux install/recovery cd.
You should be able to see and access all partitions on the drive.
(The standard Ubuntu install cd should do).

stoic
stoic

Postby zbeast » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:46 pm

Me personally I would get roxio via other means it's not a good idea to start switching from active to inactive partitions.
You could end up trashing the boot data on the drive.

more than likely that data is not stored in a readable format anyway.
Usually the recovery data is stored as a install image not raw data.

Danger UXB.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.
zbeast

Postby bkf » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:18 pm

stoic wrote:Boot with a linux install/recovery cd.
You should be able to see and access all partitions on the drive.
(The standard Ubuntu install cd should do).

stoic

Not having the problem myself but do you mean the linix disc that loads in memory only? Also Zbeast could you explain a little futher of your comment. Would not a full format blast the MBR as well? I always make my systems fron scratch but I know the time is coming when some sole with a pre loaded machine is going to ask for some help. This is just for a little insight should I ever be faced with the problem. Thanks
bkf

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:03 pm

formatting does not blast the MBR. to wipe the MBR, you need to kill all partitions on the disk.
MrFredPFL

Postby MrOtter » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:13 pm

I would tell tech support to go fish. Tell them you don't have Roxio, and if they expect you to use it, they should send you a disk, or point you to a download ( for free ). Just FYI unless you violated the hardware warranty ( opened the device ), they are obligated to honor it.

Tech support is trying to verify you have a problem, but just pressure them that you are willing to verify, but lack their means to verify. But that you still expect a working drive as your warranty clear states it. You haven't defaulted on your end of the warranty and you expect them to hold to their end.
MrOtter

Return to Tech/Software Discussion