Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

How to get back in to Windows XP if passward is forgoten?

This is the forum to discuss tech-software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

How to get back in to Windows XP if passward is forgoten?

Postby abou105 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:58 am

I ususaly do not set a password for my system but as i was going on holiday and the nosy bitch from nextdoor was minding the house i dicided it was nessesery to put one on the system, thing is i forgot it.....

I know i know typical like aint it.

It gets better..

I amthe only admin account on the pc.

How am i gonna get in to my system?

I googled and found several programs that say they will do this from a boot disc, (i have no floppy drive on my laptop) ive now made 6 discsand all of them haveloaded various things andthen taken me to the same screen with the A:\\ i have no intructions on what this is or why it is happening inany guides.

I know this has happened to one of you before, what is the best method of retreiving or reseting the pass without doing a reformat?
Last edited by abou105 on Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Information is so valuable in todays society, its understandable people want to lock it up, but the internet is about freedom of information, lets not take that away.
abou105

Postby zim » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:17 pm

http://ebcd.pcministry.com/

# Change password of any user, including administrator of Windows NT/2000/XP OS. You do not need to know the old password.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/austrumi

Austrumi is a Linux bootable ISO image for recovering NT passwords and other cool tools and methods, sized for Business Card size CD media (50Mb). It allows you to change any password, including that of the Administrator, on a partition occupied by Windows NT, Windows 2000 or Windows XP. Simply boot the CD and when you get to the initial boot prompt, type:

boot: nt_pass

This will launch a console utility that will detect Windows partitions on the hard disk and provide you with a menu to modify any user or Administrator passwords on the Windows system. It will even give access to the Windows registry for recovery purposes. Quite a handy utility to keep in your wallet (AUSTRUMI is small enough to fit on a business card-size CD) if you are unfortunate enough to having to deal with Windows machines in your line of work.
zim

Postby HouseCrowd » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:41 pm

Ophcrack worked well for me last time I tried it. Just boot from the disc and it'll reveal all the passwords for you.

If you haven't done already, try booting into safe mode first though. Depending on how you configured/installed XP, you may still have the choice of logging in as a non-password-protected 'Administrator' there, which should allow you to remove the password from the main account.
Last edited by HouseCrowd on Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby yaveznodo » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:44 pm

http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/

That's the one I use. Never let me down yet, floppy and cd versions. Boot it up, select all the defaults (it's text) and it'll wipe the Admin password clean. Takes a couple of minutes.
yaveznodo

Postby maniac3000 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:22 pm

I use NT KEY at work to blow out customer passwords. has f6 support for scsi and sata.
You can make bootable f-disks/cd/usb media with it.

:D
maniac3000

Postby zim » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:46 pm

why the heck do people think format and reinstall is such a major task?

its only 2 hours. tops. and most of that time is spent waiting.
zim

Postby LaX » Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:12 am

It's not, but most people have their programs on the same partition. The part I find a bitch to do is finding, reinstalling and configuring all the apps to my liking. Now I just don't bother with the configurations, but it's all slim and fast :P
LaX

Postby abou105 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:32 am

First of all thanks guys, there are sonme alternitives i can try there.

zim wrote:why the heck do people think format and reinstall is such a major task?

Its not, but when i have all my files on that hard disk and need to transfer them to dvd (burner located on my laptop, i dont want to reformat, i will be doing thaqt after anyway.

cheers guys
Information is so valuable in todays society, its understandable people want to lock it up, but the internet is about freedom of information, lets not take that away.
abou105

Postby puzzlepants » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:15 pm

zim wrote:why the heck do people think format and reinstall is such a major task?

If you use EFS (Encrypted File System) then you won't be able to access your files without the original password even if you back them up. For some people this is critical and they absolutely cannot reformat. However, I do agree with you completely. I probably end up formatting and installing XP on at least one computer a month and it's not a very big deal at all thankfully enough :mrgreen:
puzzlepants

Postby zim » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:35 am

you can if you use efs the way it was designed and set a recovery agent.

so either dont use efs. or use it the way it was intended. then you'll have no problems even without your pass.

cracking efs is pretty easy anyways... but since each file needs to be done individually its going to take a LONG time if you needed more than a few files or folders.

And really... anyone prone to forgetting important stuff like passwords shouldnt be using efs anyways.... too clueless.. its going to be a problem sooner or later. :lol:
zim

Postby Morphic » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:23 am

Well if it is a Login password that you need to restet/delete. You can boot into safe mode, go into the administrator account, go to control panel and then user accounts. From there you can change any password for any account, thats IF you didnt put a password on the Administrator account.

IF it is a EFS password, you can change the permissions in safe mode so you can get the information you want.

Keep in mind this can all be done IF you didnt put a password on the administrator account when you installed windows. Its 3am by me and i might not make sense with the information givin so ill defintly check on this tomm. Good Luck
Morphic

Postby 666 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:15 am

And then many hours of reinstalling all your programs (even if they are on a separate partition they store their settings in the registry and drop lots of files in system folders on your windows partition).
And then comes the worst, most time-consuming task: reapplying all your tweaks, customizations, personal settings etc. for all your software.

Rebuilding your system from scratch can ruin the better part of a weekend, which is why you really need to keep software and data on separate partitions and use drive imaging to make backups that can be restored in a few minutes instead of going through a full format-and-reinstall-and-recustomize-everything ordeal.

But back on topic: how to deal with lost passwords (from xp.site666.info) :

• Passwords: Recover or reset administrator passwords
- free (but slow) password recovery service: loginrecovery.com
- crack your own password with the Ophcrack Live CD: ophcrack.sourceforge.net
- password reset tool: home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html
- more admin password reset tools on http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administr ... ssword.htm
Last edited by 666 on Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Inksaver » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:39 am

Or put the HDD as a slave in another PC, recover your files, then format/re-Install.
On the same lines put another HDD in your PC as Master, install XP on the new disc, and recover from there.
Inksaver

Postby zim » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:04 am

from "oh shit" to complete reinstall...

it only takes 4 hours. total. and that includes taking the machine completely apart and cleaning the dust out, getting every window back where i want. every setting back the way i want. and some new downloads started.
zim

Postby GraphiX » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:19 am

no need to use all that stuff :)

it's very simple use an exploit in MS istself.

login to guest account go to CMD press enter,
in the dos box type "AT"

once you see the next screen type

at 11:40 /interactive “cmd.exe”

When the system clock reaches the time you set, then a new command prompt will magically run. The difference is that this one is running with system privileges (because it was started by the task scheduler service, which runs under the Local System account).

if you now type "explorer.exe"

you will see a totally new screen appear you've now just bypassed everything inside windows you now actually on the ADMIN/SYSop Screen from here you can reset your password as the system actually believes now you are the admin as well as anything else.

stupid windows and it's silly exploits :)

enjoy
GraphiX

Postby HouseCrowd » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:37 am

GraphiX wrote:no need to use all that stuff :)

in the dos box type "AT"

When the system clock reaches the time you set, then a new command prompt will magically run. The difference is that this one is running with system privileges (because it was started by the task scheduler service, which runs under the Local System account).

you will see a totally new screen appear you've now just bypassed everything inside windows you now actually on the ADMIN/SYSop Screen from here you can reset your password as the system actually believes now you are the admin as well as anything else.

enjoy

I like it!! That really works!??

I must try that sometime!
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby slinkyspirit » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:48 am

Graphix im dead impressed by that thats pretty darn cool. must remember
slinkyspirit

Hey Zim

Postby Djgaz1 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:50 am

To get my xp home back to the way its set up now and install all the dvd rippers converters, aol, tools, defreag sh*t and everything else takes 2 days on my system.

Getting xp on might take 2 hours, but what about all the updates and the proggys you need also...trust me its a long job.
Djgaz1

Postby zim » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:22 pm

assumes you left task scheduler service running.

which you shouldnt. because it runs with system access like that... lol
zim

Postby thejynxed » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:29 pm

However, if you turn it off, there goes any automatic updating for your AV, AS, etc software, which all rely on taskscheduler being enabled.
"FlickR is supposed to be weird, fun, experimental, way out-there -- oh no, wait, now that it's so close to being part of Microsoft, FlickR's supposed to bore people to death and empty their pockets while pretending to innovate." - Bruce Sterling
thejynxed

Postby zim » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:26 pm

auto updates are a security risk.
zim

Postby abou105 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:33 pm

GraphiX wrote:stupid windows and it's silly exploits :)

enjoy

I think im with zim on this being a bit of a security freak, thats how im in this perdicament!

Im pretty sure i have disabled task scheduler and the guest account :lol:

I have just booted to another harddrive and accessed my files that way, anything i havent transfered by friday is getting wiped as i reformat, all problems solved.
abou105

Postby zim » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:41 pm

yeah..

knowing exactly what goes into my pc and whats going on...

is the only way i can run without a firewall and virus scanner.
zim

Postby king8654 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:03 pm

Re-formating is not a big deal, but it IS a pain in the ass. We all know that while it CAN be done in two-four hours, why would you even think of it if all these other options are available. Yah the occasional reformat is a must, but beside that no harm done in finding a quick and easy way around it.

:twisted:
king8654

Postby P2P_G » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:06 pm

GraphiX wrote:no need to use all that stuff :)

in the dos box type "AT"

enjoy

Hmmm, cool but i can't get it work :/
Piracy Will Never Die.
P2P_G

Next

Return to Tech/Software Discussion