Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

system image disks/macrium

This is the forum to discuss tech-hardware related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

system image disks/macrium

Postby dougie123 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:08 am

Hello,
After 6 months of correspondence through emails with ASUS reps,engineers etc ,I am still unable to create recovery system image discs and a recovery drive for the p.c.Apparently its a well known issue,but no-one at ASUS seems to be able to,or have the will to correct it.
It was suggested on this forum that I use Macrium reflect to do the job. Well ive dloaded macrium and created a system image on an external hard drive,but......as i understand it ive created an image of my system AS IT IS NOW,which as my p.c has been acting oddly of late,reinstalling the image will just just give me the same problems i have at the moment? What I need is a complete, uncorrupted , factory type,untouched by hand ,reinstallation of windows :doh:
Also, the ASUS system recovery (which apparently doesnt work anyway for all but the lucky few) requires system image plus recovery drive which has to be created.So will the macrium image on its own install on my p.c if it doesnt have the asus recovery drive as well?
kind regards
dougie123

Re: system image disks/macrium

Postby sunnyd » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:16 pm

dougie, I'm going to assume you are referring to this thread where you previously posted regarding your ASUS laptop (not a pc).

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=60189

You are correct in saying that if your image is done now, it will copy all the corrupt items and registry errors that you are dealing with now, that are causing you issues.

What you should do first is carefully copy (write down) your operating system serial number/license. There are numerous places on the web and elsewhere where you can find downloads for operating systems. Find a copy of your operating system, download/burn it to a bootable CD/DVD or use a flash drive to boot from. Format your drive and then reinstall windows, making sure you also install all required drivers, most of which will be on the operating system CD/DVD that you burned to do the install. You will have your legitimate serial number to use once you reinstall.

You've never once mentioned your model number (in either of the two threads) which may help us to find you better links to use, etc.

You could try this link for ASUS to download directly from them (without knowing your model number I could not test this link). This should be able to find your exact system information by typing your ASUS serial number in:
http://support.asus.com/download/option ... =en&type=1

EDIT: Let me also add that in the event Microsoft will not take your serial number, which does happen since it may only be licensed for one system, you merely call them, and explain, and/or provide your documentation of communication from ASUS that you are/were trying to create a restore CD. They are usually pretty good about it.
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Postby dougie123 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:30 pm

Hi sunnyD,
Thanks..it is indeed a laptop...model K55A...WINDOWS8.
I would be grateful for any links you might provide. Thanks again.
dougie123

Postby sunnyd » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:51 pm

dougie, use your favorite search engine (or the link I provided above) and you can lookup your model K55A, the specifications, etc. I typed your model number in that link above, and it provides all your system specifications, as well as some downloads for updates for firmware, etc., which is on this link..
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?S ... Xrfr7kxIK4

Like I said, just find an operating system and reinstall after you format the drive. There are numerous registry error/fix programs out there as well, but they only do part of the job unless you pay for the full version, and there is no guarantee without doing a fresh windows install that your problems will all be resolved.

If need be, you can contact MS with your serial number, and tell them you have had no luck with ASUS. Often they will provide a download link for you, which may be to a trial version that will allow you to use your legitimate license in it per their instructions.

Before reformatting any drive, make sure you do complete backups of your data files, documents, music (or whatever) on an external drive. You don't want to backup your program files since they could very well be corrupt. Those you would also want to reinstall fresh.
sunnyd

Postby dougie123 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:57 pm

This is getting confusing......there is no serial number as such.What I do have is a C9NO3C NUMBER which according to asus isnt an appropriate number,other than that I have a series of Korean (I think) figures underneath the aforesaid set of numbers. If that isnt enough I havent got the microsoft operating license number either....not on the p.c ,not on the box ,or anywhere else I can find.This is a bonafide p.c ,bought from tescos so theres no wquestion of pirated systems etc.
Asus support is totally useless ......I know ..Ive been conversing with them for 6 months off and on..just been pusghed from pillar to post,from rep to engineer and back again,with no real answer ,or fix from anyone.My last message (today ) from the engineer was to buy recovery media discs from asus on line shop...thats fine,but then Im faced with the inapropriate serial number /no microsoft license number issue,which renders me unable to purchase discs etc ad nauseum.......
dougie123

Postby sunnyd » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:07 pm

Go to.... Settings - About Tablet - Serial Number .... not there?

As for your Windows 8 license, try this if you do not have any documentation or stickers inside the case that provide it.
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8 ... ct-key.htm
sunnyd

Postby IneptVagrant » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:59 pm

A laptop with windows 8 preinstalled.. won't need or have a product key. The BIOS is signed instead. Where to get media is rather ez but not a topic for slyck. Research torrents. When installing it won't prompt for a key, no tricks to it. Be sure it is the same version of windows 8, if it is not you will be prompted for a key.

This article is not completely out of date.
http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... -a-new-pc/

Product Keys for windows 8 were used for upgrades from windows 7.
IneptVagrant

Location: close the world . . . . . . . . . . . . . . txEn eht nepO

Postby sunnyd » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:12 pm

I have two relatives that did not save their boxes/stickers for their laptops and both were able to find their licenses through the above method and also you can do it through registry keys (or should I say, I did it for them). One was ASUS, one was HP.
sunnyd

Return to Tech/Hardware Discussion