Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

creating windows recovery disc/flash drive

This is the forum to discuss tech-hardware related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

creating windows recovery disc/flash drive

Postby dougie123 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:35 pm

Hallo, Ive had an ASUS laptop since xmas,and tried (maybe succeeded -or maybe not) to create a recovery disc in case of hard drive failure etc.Now I tried to locate the prog RECOVERY A1 as instructed by the asus pdf tutor but cant find it ...so I went through system restore settings and found Recovery -create recovery drive-to either partition on hard drive or usb drive or disc department. fine so far you might think,but while I created (perhaps) a recovery disc ,the results dont make much sense,reason being ive made recovery discs before on 2 previous laptops and needed 3 discs.....this recovery on asus took up 277 mb on the disc only ,surely that cant be correct? plus while it was creating recovery media disc there was no sign of dvd drive burning anything ,but the files are on the disc all the same. the files on newly made recovery disc are 3 folders named boot{16 mb) efi (14.3 mb} sources (243 mb) and 2 other files named bootmgr (389 kb) and bootmgr.efi (1328 kb).....So exactly what have I created? Its windows 8 by the way , thanks
dougie123

Re: creating windows recovery disc/flash drive

Postby HouseCrowd » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:17 am

It's possible it has created a differential backup, ie just a backup of the data that has changed compared with the OEM restoration backup.

If I were you, I wouldn't rely on it though. I'd create a full HDD image (or two), using something like Macrium Reflect (which has a free version) and save it to an external HDD. It's worthwhile running a 'verify' check on the backup image(s) afterwards too.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby dougie123 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:46 pm

Hi.....regarding this issue Ive contacted asus support and received this reply (Im paraphrasing here) The manual is outdated,and there is no RECOVERY1 utility. What I have apparently created is a recovery DRIVE to be used in event of problems,and though i can create a system image through the recovery drive,theres no need to because the recovery drive ive created will utilise utilities allready on pc to reinstall windows . There is NO way to create a system image on disc to transfer to any new hard drive should present hard drive fail completely. If this should occur after warranty expires (1 year) I have the option to return pc to asus for them to install a new hard drive and windows (no doubt at an exhorbitant price ,and using reconditioned hard drive) or the only other alternative it seems is to dump the pc I guess.Im a tad annoyed at this ,and though the rep said hard drives can last 10 years and very rarely fail,my experience over last several years tell me different. Am I over reacting,or have I got a justifiable argument? tks
dougie123

Postby HouseCrowd » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:39 am

Some hard drives do last 10+ years; some die after just a few months. Some failures are predictable, taking into account make, model, usage and handling/treatment, but for the most part it's just the luck of the draw.

In my experience, manufacturer installed HDD backup/recovery utilities are usually rather limited or unreliable and many don't offer a way to back up your own data/settings, providing only a means to reinstate the Windows installation back to 'factory default'.

It's really simply to safeguard against HDD failure yourself though: Just use a free drive imaging utility, such as Macrium Reflect, to create a backup of your entire system on an external drive (at regular intervals) then, should your HDD ever fail, simply recover the image to the new HDD (using either Macrium installed on another PC or a Macruim recovery/boot disc) and swap the drives over. Most laptops have a HDD 'hatch' underneath for easy HDD access and replacement.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby dougie123 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:14 am

Thanks for your answer Housecrowd.I have indeed downloaded Macrium as you suggested,and will create image shortly.....but if support are correct in saying that any system image I create wil lNOT work on any other hard drive then I fear Ill be stuck ....an option I have,which id forgotten ,is that Ive got till jan 31st to return this pc to tescos if unsatisfactory for refund,then maybe purchase another pc of acer brand which ive always found to be a good and reliable machine.regards
dougie123

Postby HouseCrowd » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:27 am

I've never had a problem restoring hard drive backup images with Macrium Reflect ... and I've done hundreds of them. I can't think of any reason why the laptop you have should be any different. What model is it?

If it has a standard HDD, there should be no reason why an image of it won't restore and work with another similar HDD. You do sometimes get compatibility issues with certain motherboards and HDDs so sometimes there may be one or two HDD models that won't work reliably with the laptop, but that's a fairly rare occurrence.

Make sure you 'verify' the backup image after creating it (you should see the option where the backup images are listed in Macrium) and keep at least 2 backup images.
HouseCrowd

Return to Tech/Hardware Discussion