Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

need help with diagnosing connection

This is the forum to discuss tech-hardware related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

need help with diagnosing connection

Postby piglets222 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:07 pm

acouple things... I have mention'd I DJ for a internet radio, and I run bitmeter to monitor my bandwith... my computer is a desktop xphome, wired connection to my router, and 1laptop wireless, recently verizon my isp sold to frontier since around that time, I have been seeing on my desktop random "A Network Cable is Unplugged" "Local Area Connection is now connected" using bitmeter i am able to see that there IS a quick complete drop in the bandwith (wireless computers show no drop in bandwith no disconnected messages)
the desktop computer disconnect is so quick the mIRC doesnt disconnect me from the server im connected to
almost except for the notification, I'd think it was a false error, except the bitmeter is showing the drop in activity...
I was thinking it was the router, checking the router logs shows I have been connected for 5 days so I think that rulesout? router dropping (specially since wireless shows smooth connection)
though I am seeing somekind of
DNS: Unknown host: 'wpad.ftrdhcpuser.net'
DNS: Unknown host: 'isatap.ftrdhcpuser.net'
thinking its the desktopcomputer, my next thought was firewall, disabling, and even Uninstalling, and Rebooting im still getting the cable unplugged messages, bitmeter drop...
that leaves me with maybe the dsl cord connecting the desktop the router, (i have not another one to testout) maybe updating the driver for the network adapter... checking the nvidia site i do not see a driver for just "NVIDIA nforce mcp network adapter"

so I think ruled out it not being the router??, and not being firewall, unless there is something im missing, and not knowledgeable enough about...
why am i getting a 'unplugged' message and bandwith drop on my desktop, but not on wireless
drops look random, I can get 4 in a ten minute span, or 1 in 5 minutes... and it seemed worse when I DJ'd Uploading stream, tho I still get them running Nothing (no mirc, no IM's, no browers)

does anyone else have an idea, IHaaaaaate the thought of calling frontier
piglets222

Re: need help with diagnosing connection

Postby HouseCrowd » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:38 am

Sounds to me more like a physical connection issue. Ethernet RJ45 connections aren't the most reliable. The spring contacts in the sockets can loose tension on the connector and/or contacts can become oxidised or dirty.

Try pushing each of the RJ45 plugs gently, perpendicular to the contacts, in both directions, to see if you can reproduce the fault.

Also check that the network adaptor, if separate to the motherboard, is properly seated.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby piglets222 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:22 pm

HouseCrowd wrote:Sounds to me more like a physical connection issue. Ethernet RJ45 connections aren't the most reliable. The spring contacts in the sockets can loose tension on the connector and/or contacts can become oxidised or dirty.

Try pushing each of the RJ45 plugs gently, perpendicular to the contacts, in both directions, to see if you can reproduce the fault.

Also check that the network adaptor, if separate to the motherboard, is properly seated.

thanks for the reply, thought i'd give a update, was able to find a cat cable and changed it out, cracked the tower, and dusted it out, it seemed seated fine... also uninstalled adapter and rebooted
im still getting dc'd :( i'd be willing to buy a new networkcard since they seem to run 12 bux on lowend... but honestly i think its good, i read about how to ping the card at 127.0.0.1, it pings fine :/
so im thinking that narrows it down to the router
its gonna be a pita for me to replace, i curse verizon and their shoddyware, this is the second modem from them, i have protected my modems, got surge protectors on them, and the incomming cords, so i will be buying a reputable name brand
:thumbdn:
piglets222

Postby multivariable » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:58 am

it's not a d-link router, by any chance?
multivariable

Postby piglets222 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:55 am

Westell VersaLink 327W

something wrong with d-links?
piglets222

Return to Tech/Hardware Discussion