Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

2TB WD usb drive 32% failure

This is the forum to discuss tech-hardware related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

2TB WD usb drive 32% failure

Postby Captain America » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:10 pm

So I got a 2TB external from Western Digital and for the first few months everything was going great. I recently started downloading a TON of data (300gigs +) directly onto the drive. Just recently large .rar archives would receive a read error from the drive (I know the archive isn't corrupt, cause I downloaded the same archive to another external and extracted perfectly). I downloaded a hd repair tool and it said 32% failure and tempture was 45C (which it considered too hot so I unplugged it for a while set it next to a fan to cool down). Got temp down to 40C and it said it was ok temp. Still says 32% failure on the drive and I still can not unrar large archives. I can unrar archives that are around 1 to 15 files no problem.. I can watch and hear movies/music without any pausing/skipping. I've run chkdsk and it found 0 bad sectors.

p.s. When I download large archives to the drive I receive no READ/WRITE errors while downloading what so ever, and all sizes are correct after the initial download.

Any idea on this one? I'm filling it up to get ready to give too my brother for his 3rd tour (gonna transfer the data from this to another HD, I just hope it can last till then).

Can an over heated drive cause a 32% failure rate? Is so will the freezer trick work?

btw, long time no see all..

****update****

Now small archives are un readable (I can still access all stored data just fine)..... Wondering if I should take it out of case and try to use as internal?
My Machine:Intel I7 @ 2.7ghz| MSI X58 Platinum SLI Socket 1366 ATX Motherboard MS-7522| 2x Hitachi 500gig internal| Geforce gtx 260 core 216|SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio 7.1 2x| dvd lightscribe|Vista 64bit
Captain America

Re: 2TB WD usb drive 32% failure

Postby leyton » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:35 pm

Ive been looking to buy one of thsese my self for about 6 months now,been looking around @ the Reviews

There`s some site that keep putting me off buying one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital ... ewpoints=1

http://www.dtidata.com/resourcecenter/2 ... rd-drives/

i got lots more more site, to look @.half of the drives iv`e looked at just give up,overheat
There's nothing that cant be done if we raise our voice as one.chronicles of history evil corporates and their deceptions will never succeed

laughs at men at work signs. Women work everyday, and don't need a sign.. but men need to let everyone know what they are doing.
leyton

Postby IneptVagrant » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:37 pm

what is a "hd repair tool" What does 32% failure mean... its just a number w/o a label...

I would think its a bad cable
IneptVagrant

Location: close the world . . . . . . . . . . . . . . txEn eht nepO

Postby Captain America » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:40 pm

Yeah sorry, I used Ashampoo HDD Control 2 and those were just the stats of the particular program.

I'm just gonna cut my losses here. I can still copy too and from the drive, so I"ll just put all I have on to my bros portable drive... and download to it from now on...
My Machine:Intel I7 @ 2.7ghz| MSI X58 Platinum SLI Socket 1366 ATX Motherboard MS-7522| 2x Hitachi 500gig internal| Geforce gtx 260 core 216|SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio 7.1 2x| dvd lightscribe|Vista 64bit
Captain America

Postby Downloader » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:27 pm

Try changing the cable and the USB port.

I would also take all data off and reformat the drive (slow reformat).
SwordOfZork wrote:Just because you CAN sue someone, doesn't mean you're not a total douche for doing so.
Downloader

Postby friedcheese » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:46 pm

sorry if this is stupid, but is it possible that you are trying to unrar files (iso's?) over 4 gb onto a drive formatted to FAT and not NTSC?

edit: sorry again if this is of no help, i did see aboot the errors.
friedcheese

Postby Captain America » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:03 am

Already tried switching between 3 different usb cables and 4 different ports (have 9 total). It is formatted correctly.
I've gotten temperature down to 35C according too previously mentioned program. It's just throwing me off cause I can read from it just fine.. Will try a low lvl format after I copy all the stuff to my bro's external... Will update then.....

Thanks all.
Captain America

Postby HouseCrowd » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:16 am

It's difficult to test a HDD properly when it's connected via a USB interface - there are too many factors that can give misleading results.

I would take the drive out of the case/caddy and connect it to a free internal SATA port then boot the PC with Spinrite and run a surface scan on it.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Return to Tech/Hardware Discussion