Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Laptop fan starts and then stops for good

This is the forum to discuss tech-hardware related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Laptop fan starts and then stops for good

Postby gangstarr » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:48 pm

Hi,

My girlfriends laptop's (an advent 6651) fan will go on for a second when it first switches on, goes off again for say 7-10 secs, comes on again for a sec then stops permantly. The laptop itself boots up fine but obviously i don't want to use it without the fan!

I have tried replacing the fan and heatsink and also tried artic silver 5 on the heatsink but had no luck at all.

Anyone got any ideas as I am totally stuck and broke so can't afford a new one!

The spec is a pentium T3400, 3gig ram and running vista home

Thanks
gangstarr

Re: Laptop fan starts and then stops for good

Postby TorrentMama » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:16 pm

try going into the bios and setting the fan to always be on, a lot of times it's set to come on at a default temp. set it to always on and set it to the maximum speed available.
Lionel Hutz, court-appointed attorney. I'll be defending you on the charge of... Murder One! Wow! Even if I lose, I'll be famous!
TorrentMama

Postby HouseCrowd » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:39 am

an advent 6651

AKA Curry's/Dixons/PC World crap. I've repaired quite a few Advent laptops and I'm yet to see a good reliable one.

On many laptops it's normal for the fan to kick-in at power-up then slow right down or stop during normal operation. Most processors and other components can run at 70 degrees centigrade or higher without any problems. Temperature controlled fans usually kick in above 40 or 50 degrees C though.

I would just turn it on and monitor the temperature. You could just feel the case or use a utility such as Speedfan. Even if the temperature does reach a critical point the laptop should shutdown (albeit instantly and without warning) long before any damage is done. Try running something processor-intensive, such as playing a HD movie, to see if the fan starts up.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby gangstarr » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:11 am

thanks for the help guys - i'll try what you say and let you know how i get on :)
gangstarr

Postby gangstarr » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:48 am

so got the the fan working - thanks guys!

another problem i've come across - the laptop shorts out everytime i put a usb in it. i've tried replacing the usb port and cable and theres no change. the laptop now works fine part from the usb

cheers
gangstarr

Postby HouseCrowd » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:13 am

When you say "shorts out" .... what are the symptoms exactly?

And have you inspected the USB sockets for any physical signs of damage?
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby Mcdon2401 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:55 am

HouseCrowd wrote:
an advent 6651

AKA Curry's/Dixons/PC World crap. I've repaired quite a few Advent laptops and I'm yet to see a good reliable one.

In defence of DSG, I'd just like to point out that I've been using an Advent 6301 for nearly 3 years now, and it's still running ok. Any problems it's had have usually been problems with software, and it has now massively outlasted a far more expensive Compaq (more than double the price). It spends all it's time crunching numbers in BOINC, as well as letting me do the usual surf/play games/watch TV. It might not look as pretty as the Compaq, but I know which one I don't regret buying ;)
It's only funny until someone gets hurt,

Then it's bloody hilarious :)

It is the mark of an educated mind, to entertain a thought without being seduced by it.
Mcdon2401

Postby HouseCrowd » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:50 am

Mcdon2401 wrote:In defence of DSG, I'd just like to point out that I've been using an Advent 6301 for nearly 3 years now, and it's still running ok. Any problems it's had have usually been problems with software, and it has now massively outlasted a far more expensive Compaq (more than double the price). It spends all it's time crunching numbers in BOINC, as well as letting me do the usual surf/play games/watch TV. It might not look as pretty as the Compaq, but I know which one I don't regret buying ;)

Admittedly it's possible, in theory, to find a good reliable and well-built Advent machine (and hopefully you've found one Don!) because they use a number of different, usually unheard-of, manufacturers, so you could be lucky and get one that's been built by a good manufacturer. Advent is just the marketing name, so there can't really be any consistency of quality. I certainly wouldn't recommend buying another one just because the one you've got has proven to be a good one. Unless you carefully check the model's reviews and do some research beforehand, it's potluck really which manufacturer (and therefore what build-quality, reliability, etc) you get.

And as for the Compaq ... let me guess, overheating? black screen? Bleeping BIOS POST?

Compaq's were good, once upon a time. Around about the time of the 'merger' (aka take-over) with HP they seemed to go rapidly downhill. Compaq laptops now seem to have inherited all the GPU overheating issues that a lot of HP laptops have.
HouseCrowd

Postby Mcdon2401 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:34 pm

Can't remember what happened with the Compaq now. Would run a Linux live cd, but wouldn't do much of anything else... By coincidence, the OH's daughter has a Compaq desktop system that has suddenly decided that your boot options are System Recovery or the Compaq logo... I hate troubleshooting computers :)
It's only funny until someone gets hurt,

Then it's bloody hilarious :)

It is the mark of an educated mind, to entertain a thought without being seduced by it.
Mcdon2401

Postby HouseCrowd » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:13 am

Mcdon2401 wrote:I hate troubleshooting computers

Me too. Unfortunately I troubleshoot computers for a living though! :o
HouseCrowd

Return to Tech/Hardware Discussion