Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Some tweaks possible for a Zoom ADSL X5 modem ?

This is the forum to discuss tech-hardware related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Re: Some tweaks possible for a Zoom ADSL X5 modem ?

Postby sunnyd » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:16 pm

Yes, that's why I showed you that link, it's very easy to follow. I got your pm, and I will research info on your isp later. First, some important rules:

Rule 1. Never be afraid of your isp, YOU are the paying customer.
Rule 2. Never be afraid of your modem/router, you can always hit the reset to go back to what it was.
Rule 3. Be willing to try suggested changes/options.
Rule 4. Take charge of your pc with the attitude "this will get resolved".
Rule 5. Never bake cakes unless you share them with everyone here. :wink:
Rule 6. There is no rule 6 :D

Ok, all kidding aside, you are making this harder on yourself than need be. If you are communicating with your isp, all you need from them is how to set it back to default for login and pass, they can actually do this for you or they will tell you to hit reset again. You have the flash info they gave you, you have the info on everything else you need to do as we discussed above. It's real simple, if you are afraid to open the port yourself, then tell them to open one for you (guide you through it) and make sure you change your settings in your client to match that port. Forget all the technical settings that you will never need to know about. Be brave! :)
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Postby loninappleton » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:00 pm

sunnyd,

You are not from the US, I can tell. ;-)

And you prob'ly haven't been red lighted by a service. Red lighting is when they turn you off cuz someplace like HBO
didn't want you to see Rome and called the ISP threatening lawsuits and other stuff the guards of The Sonny Bono Copyright Law are up to. I actually got red lighted 2x. The Sonny Bono Copyright Law comes from reading on Net Neutrality from Lawrence Lessig.

You are not from the US or you would know that peeps here are even afraid to do torrents at all much less
fiddle with the company's gizmo.

There is no Pirate Party here like there is in the Netherlands (or wherever.) Even so I keep torrents going. But I have learned to be cautious.

:pirate:

When did you want your piece of cake?
loninappleton

Postby sunnyd » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:19 pm

:lol: Yes, I am indeed from the USA, and I even run my own P2P SlavaNap server for OpenNap. :wink: I help users on a daily basis with issues such as yours. My point is, no, you do not tell your isp you are file sharing, you merely tell them you need a port open for another reason, and there should be nothing to fear from that, or asking for their help with settings.

I am not criticizing the fact that you are trying to be cautious with what you say to your isp, I am merely trying to help you solve a problem, so please don't misunderstand that.

At this point though, I have provided you with about as much information as I can, and no, your isp is not one on a list known to block P2P activity, (I just checked that). Let me know how things go when you start to do some of the suggestions I mentioned, or if they are able to help you, and I will check back. I am sure you will get it all resolved. :)
sunnyd

Postby loninappleton » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:30 pm

I will come back with any news. Lots to chew on now. Thank you for your time and patience. It is likely we will talk again.
loninappleton

Postby sunnyd » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:41 pm

Yw :toast: , and keep me posted.
sunnyd

Postby loninappleton » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:31 pm

Today I read through the entire manual for the Zoom X5.

While it verifies that connection to the internet shows the device is working properly it also says that the ISP would charge for a static IP address. This is news to me. It would also explain why my attempt to set up static IP port forwarding on the Actiontec modem previously installed failed to use the information I gave in the setup screens.

Portforwarding.com does not mention this so far as I have ever read in all their documentation.

I am not going to pay for any additional services from the ISP. Still, I wonder why the old Actiontec did not produce this email glitch.

Also I removed all virus checkers and firewalls. I have little problem of being attacked and so removed AVG Ad Aware and
Spybot plus anything else I could find. The problem of the POP3 error remains.

I also reverted to an install of Vuze 3.xxx rather than the new 4.xxx and the error remains.

Windows firewall is turned off.

That catches me up. I document all this because it may be useful to others since apparently it is some new wrinkle not solved previously.
loninappleton

Postby sunnyd » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:45 pm

Yes, you have to pay for a "true" static ip from your isp that would be yours, and yours alone. You are not asking them for a static ip in the WAN (Wide Area Network, which is the outside, not in your home), all you are doing is making a static ip on your home pc, in your Local Area Network, (your LAN) which has nothing to do with your isp, it's only done on your pc to prevent you from having to reconfigure your router when your WAN ip address changes.

If your WAN address is 123.45.789.25 (or whatever) you are changing it on YOUR pc only to be a home network static ip such as a 10.1.10.4 (or whatever) which would be in sync with your gateway address of 10.1.10.1 (or whatever).

I am not sure your test will be complete until you port forward, but it sounds like you are making progress at ruling things out.
sunnyd

Postby sunnyd » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:46 pm

Here is a link from portforward.com, note, it says to make a static ip on your pc, not that you need a static ip from your isp.

http://portforward.com/english/routers/ ... holink.htm

To setup port forwarding on this router your computer needs to have a static ip address. Take a look at our Static IP Address guide to setup a static ip address. When you are finished setting up a static ip address, please come back to this page and enter the ip address you setup in the Static IP Address box below.

While this is not the exact one for Vuze, port forwarding is done the same. Most important, I wanted you to understand that setting a static ip on your pc, is not the same as paying for a static ip from your isp. All you would do different is put whatever port you want to use for Vuze, in place of the one they are using.
sunnyd

Previous

Return to Tech/Hardware Discussion