Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Some tweaks possible for a Zoom ADSL X5 modem ?

This is the forum to discuss tech-hardware related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Some tweaks possible for a Zoom ADSL X5 modem ?

Postby loninappleton » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:08 am

Recently, I had a modem replaced by the ISP with a protection sticker on it. It is their equipment. What I noticed is that I have to turn off torrents to send mail. This is an issue I will not get into with tech support at the company.

Some details. I inadvertently used the reset button which wiped the modem memory. Ok for that, tech support talked me through reseting the flash memory using the code to login to the device. The setup screen then presents itself and a couple
of selections redo the flash.

Settings in firmware are:

Defaults:

Encapsulation: PPO ALLC
VPI 0
VCI 99

Changes given for the ISP application to set up right:

Encapsulation: PPo ELLC
VPI 0
VCI 35

This looks a bit like port forwarding info but not sure. I have no manual for the device.

The procedure is to enter setup via the modems address which can be found using Ipconfig.
That address is put in the browser address bar and the setup screen opens up.

When using Vuze/Azureus, sending email will issue a POP 3 error. When I turn off Vuze, the mail goes through.
Could this be a problem with Vuze? It never happened with the older modem which was an Actiontec model.

Any changes I try to make should be completely reversible since the device is company provided.
loninappleton

Re: Some tweaks possible for a Zoom ADSL X5 modem ?

Postby sunnyd » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:32 pm

You mentioned you had no manual....here is a link for one, for that device (it's a .pdf file).

http://dl.owneriq.net/9/90faf28c-5aa8-4 ... 182f5c.pdf

I don't know the answer to your POP issue, but at least you will have the manual.
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Postby loninappleton » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:13 am

Perhaps the software mentioned would be of some help. Is this available for download at Zoom?
I made a fresh backup before I started any of this. Tried installing an older version of Thunderbird since
the ISP said there where known problems with it. They don't seem to speak anything but M$ as far as software goes.

I just received the box from them. No word was given about a software install though they do provide written instructions for setting up XP so the NIC is connected correctly.

Another point: Is it necessary when getting a new dsl modem to redo that procedure?

At this point I thought that plug and play and device recognition went only as far as the NIC.

I forgot to look and see if the manual has a unique number but that won't help with the installation software.

I will see if I can find the software d/l myself, but any help appreciated.

And I will report back if I find it.
loninappleton

Postby sunnyd » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:23 am

sunnyd

Postby loninappleton » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:31 am

http://www.zoomtel.com/techsupport/adsl/adsl_5554.shtml

That is the download for the USB driver and firmware. All this stuff is very old. And it says that if you are on ethernet, it does not apply. As to firmware: well, it's not my device so I'll not be doing upgrades on it. It is provided by the company.

The problem with Vuze and Thunderbird mail began with this device change. Something is not getting through when Vuze is running. Anything else works fine.
loninappleton

Postby sunnyd » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:33 am

I posted their tech page so you could use the "contact us" at the top, I am sure they can offer some help.
sunnyd

Postby sunnyd » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:45 am

Just an added thought, here are the normal ports used for email...

POP3 - port 110
IMAP - port 143
SMTP - port 25
HTTP - port 80
Secure SMTP (SSMTP) - port 465
Secure IMAP (IMAP4-SSL) - port 585
IMAP4 over SSL (IMAPS) - port 993
Secure POP3 (SSL-POP) - port 995

Check what port you are running Vuze on (it should not be on any of those ports). If you contact their tech support, just indicate that when you are running another program, email fails, they should be able to walk you through some settings to verify if the firewall settings are correct, how to port forward, etc., rather than you contacting your isp about the issue.
sunnyd

Postby loninappleton » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:24 am

For settings:

Inbox 110 is the same. For SMTP, I was given 1025 to put into Account settings for T-bird by the ISP.

In Vuze the listening port and UDP port both default to 25553 and Vuze recently did one of it's automagic download upgrades to Vuze 4.xxx.

A lot of variables to control all at once after everything being static and working for a long time.
I took your advice and made a question at Zoom technical as well.

I think it's something simple, though with these auto updates going to backups as well, I cannot trace the bug.

Also I have considered rolling over to uTorrent but all my stuff is running in Vuze and I am used to the interface.
loninappleton

Postby loninappleton » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:28 pm

No progress yet but I should be able to do something as simple as finding an unblocked port as disscribed in this Vuze how-to which is very thorough and well-laid out:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content ... -speed.htm

I also used the natstat -a command as described in optimizing vuze to see what ports are being used then saved that to a text file.
Still, any apparent unused port number remains blocked using the canyouseeme test:

http://www.canyouseeme.org/

A full installation of port forwarding looks to be the next step. Optimizing Vuze links directly to the right page on portforwarding.com to do that process. I had tried this years ago, but the old Actiontec setup was not cooperative. The ability (or danger of) resetting the Zoom means any changes made should be reversible if necessary.

Something I am not getting straight is where enabling Upnp is located either in Vuze or XP. I looked all over Vuze and could not find the right screen shown at Optimizing Vuze.
loninappleton

Postby sunnyd » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Here is a link for enabling UPnP in Windows XP.....

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941206

Looks like you are on the right track, port forward, and also see if the link above helps you. Portforward.com is great, I direct people there all the time.
sunnyd

Postby loninappleton » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:49 pm

Yes, the path is Start > Settings > Windows Firewall > Exceptions > Enable UPnp

In the past I had printed out all of the relevant detail from Portforwarding.com for the previous modem but I remain confused.

Portforwarding has a separate page to set up Azureus which should be the same for Vuze and I will have to
go through that a bit at a time.

My further question is that on the Azureus Setup page it now says that UPnp will be turned off in the setup process because a static port will be setup in the portforwarding procedure. This is confusing. Admittedly I do not understand the setup very well and so can only do things by rote instruction.

What if Windows Firewall is turned off? Mine is turned off. Threats to my system have not occurred. So what does the
Upnp setting on or off accomplish if the Windows Firewall is not operating?

Also what is Encapsulation and why does it have so many options in Zoom Modem configuration?
loninappleton

Postby ejonesss » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:46 am

if the isp will let you own your own modem you could buy one so it would be your own so you can do firmware updates to.

only catch is to owning the modem is if it breaks you then have to buy a new one..

if the rented modem breaks they give you a new one free.

you may be able to ask the isp to see if firmware upgrades are allowed.

loninappleton wrote:http://www.zoomtel.com/techsupport/adsl/adsl_5554.shtml

That is the download for the USB driver and firmware. All this stuff is very old. And it says that if you are on ethernet, it does not apply. As to firmware: well, it's not my device so I'll not be doing upgrades on it. It is provided by the company.

The problem with Vuze and Thunderbird mail began with this device change. Something is not getting through when Vuze is running. Anything else works fine.
…-..-..-..-..-.-----.-…-..-…-..-…-...
ejonesss

Postby sunnyd » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:02 am

What they want you to do, is to set up a static ip address (not a static port) on your pc, so that if your WAN ip address changes, it will not affect the port forward settings in your router since you have to port forward to the ip address of the pc. You are dsl, therefore your wan ip address is not static and will be changing. You would do an ipconfig and write down the information:

Go to start, run, type in cmd, hit enter. Dos window opens, at the > type in ipconfig, hit enter. It will list 3 ip addresses:
IP Address
Subnet Mask
Default Gateway (this should be your router address)

When you access your router in your browser just like port forward shows you, that address is your router address, or your "gateway" address.

Make a note of those ip addresses in the >ipconfig that you did. Then on your pc, go to my network places, local area connection, right click, choose properties. You will see tcp/ip listed, hilite that, choose properties. THIS is where you enter a static ip address on your pc, also the subnet, and gateway ip addresses. If your router gateway is 192.168.1.1, you would make your pc 192.168.1.3 (or whatever number you choose). This identifies your pc on your home network with a specific static ip address that you will use in the port forward process. When you port forward to open the proper port for Vuze, you will port forward tcp to the ip address you set as static on your pc.

If you follow the instructions on portforward.com, they are very easy to follow, but don't skip the step I just explained. If you have more than one pc, set each one as a separate ip address. When you use the canyouseeme.org to check that the port is properly opened, make sure you have no other programs running so that you have an accurate test.

Many routers can be reset back to default, and all you have to do is port forward again. If you need the preferred dns server information, your isp can provide that.

Here is the information on Encapsulation.

If you call your isp, and tell them you accidentally hit the reset, I would think they would be willing to help walk you through each setting, including the port forwarding, if you need more assistance, or you are concerned about the other settings. You would just tell them which port you want to open for online gaming (the one you use for Vuze). :wink:

If they provide a modem for free, that means they also provide support for that modem. If you purchase your own, quite often they will not support it, so I don't advise that. Firware upgrades on modems are often done by the isp provider, and should not be a concern. When your service is interrupted, it can be for several reasons, one of which may be because they are doing firmware updates on modems.
sunnyd

Postby loninappleton » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:33 am

Thanks for the detailed reply. Regards the firmware, I will wait to hear from Zoom (which they say takes several days)
and then inquire about firmware. They have given me just the settings I mentioned above

It's interesting that you say firmware is upgraded as what they (the isp) has referred to as a 'global' activity or system wide problem.

I never did get static ip address installed with the old Actiontec. The last series of numbers would not stick in the fill in box.
But I was not experiencing this sort of mail problem then, just wanting to tweak the download process for efficiency. Since then I have become less of a stranger to making the ipconfig command etc and follow that a little better.

For now, I will follow the Azureus optimization tutorial and see what that does.
loninappleton

Postby sunnyd » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:26 am

As for the isp doing the "firmware" updates, it is not to be misunderstood as a problem, it's considered maintenance, and they do it if there is a know issue from the manufacturer, or if there is a new update for the firmware.

As for entering a static ip on your pc, there is only one possible way they can be entered, as per the example below:

IP address: 192.168.1.2 (or whatever you set it to be, within the range as specified in the router)
Subnet: 255.255.255.0 (normal subnet mask)
Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (if that is your router address)

The preferred DNS ip addresses to enter, are supplied from your isp, and they can give you that information.

Once you set that, and click apply, it generally boots you offline, as you are now changing your pc address within your network. Once that happens, you should power cycle the modem/router, then once again, do the ipconfig to verify that your ip address now shows as what you set it to on your pc, then you can go back in your modem/router and do your port forwarding, save changes, exit. The modem usually will reboot itself then, if not, power cycle it, and then check your port on canyouseeme.org to make sure you get the green success for the port being opened.
sunnyd

Postby loninappleton » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:07 pm

This ISP does not want me to enter the modem config.

I will have to do what I can in Vuze because that is the bottleneck.

I tried throttling bandwidth just a bit but got no change. I have not done the optimize routine yet.
loninappleton

Postby sunnyd » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:46 pm

If you don't mind my asking, who is your isp? I am not sure if I understand you correctly, they are not willing to help you port forward, or not willing to help you get back the original settings? You don't really need them for port forwarding, we covered how to do that already. If you are talking about just the normal modem settings that were there, resetting it back to default really should have no bearing on this, and I am wondering if you are "over thinking" the settings. A factory reset basically just removes any settings that you did to customize (port forwarding), but the modem should still work fine with the exception of any ports that you opened/forwarded, those would have to be redone. What you need is to obtain their preferred dns ip addresses which can even be found in a Google search (in most cases). They should have no concern whatsoever if you set a static ip on your pc or not, that is immaterial to them. They bring the dsl line, they provide the modem. If you had a storm, and your power went out causing a power surge which knocked out your modem, etc., they would provide a new one, or help you with any required settings. I have never heard of any isp that will not allow you to port forward for *ahem* online gaming. :wink:

Did you recently change service providers, or did they just give you a new modem?

Let's go back to the original issue, Vuze running, no email, Vuze not running, email works. I believe that you need to port forward for Vuze and if your firewall is on in XP, turn off the firewall in the router/modem, then see if they (email and Vuze) both work in harmony that way. Go ahead and set the static ip on your pc, port forward the port for Vuze, and then see where things stand. If Vuze does not have a specific port it uses, then try port forwarding a 4 digit port, a different number than you were using (port 5100 or something like that).

I use Comcast for isp, when I had one specific model of their modems, I reset it back to default numerous times because I changed ports that were forwarded (it was easier to just reset, and start over), and I had no issues whatsoever after a reset.

If I am not understanding what you are trying to say about your isp, then please try to be just a bit more specific.

Here is another link showing set up of the Zoom modem/router. It shows you how to do the complete setup other than port forwarding which you can do on portforward.com. Notice it also shows you first to obtain an auto ip address, THEN it shows you how to enter your own network (static on your pc) ip address, or in the case of this example, they (RNS) provided the ip address. http://my.ruralnetwork.net/tech/setup/d ... _setup.htm
sunnyd

Postby loninappleton » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:54 am

Over the years there have been various levels of help with this service.

Since I making it anonymous, here is the reply I got after asking about 'how online gaming with World Of Warfare might interfere with mail:

[quote] The Zoom modem has nothing to do with your email issues. Please make no
changes to the Zoom modem. As long as you can connect to the internet you
should be able to send & receive emails. We have seen problems with
Thunderbird lately. If all of your settings are correct in Thunderbird and
it still does not work there must be an issue with the program or something
on your computer like a anti virus or a firewall may be blocking your mail. [unquote]

After applying to two settings described earlier by entering modem setup and giving a name and password which was
my email and my login password I made the two changes and exited.

When trying to enter the same email address and password again, the modem would not open up. That's what I recall from being talked through the procedure over the phone. I got the idea that they didn't want me to do even that much but it was needed to get the thing going after a reset.

So if there's a global user like "guest" or "admin" for the Zoom, I'll have to use that. However the message from them is quite clear: do not alter the device. Perhaps the company thinks I want to open up the Zoom and start throwing switches. I just don't know.

Funny thing was as I got the Zoom login screen up there was a phrase that said 'the device says "Bosco"' (I made up the word here.) That's as if the ISP is changing users and password names to prevent activity.

I will look at the new Zoom setup info you provided.

They also said that there were some issues with Thunderbird mail. But I find this unlikely because I reinstalled T-birt 1.x, then 2.x and didn't like T-bird 3 interface at all. The POP3 error occurred in all of them.

I have the DNS numbers written down of the ISP but those notes are pretty old. Always I try to make adequate hand written notes but this service has been sold to a local telephone company a couple years ago.
loninappleton

Postby sunnyd » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:24 am

I am in agreement with your isp, as long as you are able to connect to the internet, it has to be an issue on your pc, whether it be firewall, needing ports open, your AV, or Thunderbird, etc. What they are indicating is that they don't want you to make changes to normal modem/router configuration settings (DMZ, NAT, etc.), and there should be no need to do so. Port forwarding is acceptable, and your provider should have no issue with that.

Use the basic login and password that is generic to all Zoom modems, or the one that they assigned to you the last time, you should never change the default password for the modem (it's their modem, they need to support it through being able to access it), if you did, then reset it again as long as you remember the flash settings they gave you. They gave you the correct settings for flash, so you have that, you have the info on how to set a static ip on your pc, you have the links for portforward and open port checker, I suggest you do those, and then see how things go. Try those things, and then also try others.... disable firewall in modem, temporarily disable your AV, etc. You have to rule out which issue it may be, by changing one thing at a time.

Do a Google search for any recent Thunderbird posts, or reported issues with email, it may be that ports are blocked, but until you start trying some of the above, you won't know for sure.

Also do a Google search on your isp, to see if they are listed as one who throttles bandwidth or blocks certain programs or P2P related activity, or during peak hours. You did not tell me who they were, so I can't offer help on that issue. I know of several that do what I mentioned, and I deal with port forwarding, pc and isp issues many times a week, so other than what I stated above for you to start trying, I am almost out of suggestions for you.
sunnyd

Postby loninappleton » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:01 pm

Yes, you have been of much help and dealing with these p2p issues is overwhelming for me. There's days worth of stuff to do and I have barely scratched the surface of setup.

Still, I don't know if I'll be able to get into the modem at all. The user name I have is my email address and the password is my password for the provider used for webmail and all logins.

My conversation with the guy there is ongoing. He has taken an interest in my case.

The company name, well, I don't want to cast aspersions but I'd give it to you to investigate in mail. You have my email address there at Slyck.

Today I am going to go through that new tutorial you showed. And get off mail myself for a while. :)
loninappleton

Postby sunnyd » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:17 pm

The modem should have the login name and password they assigned (the default one), if it doesn't, they will not be able to access it for support, so that should be changed back when you continue to discuss this (your case) with them. Their support person may suggest that you once again, reset it to factory default to start fresh.

You can send me a private message if you need to, with who your isp is, and I will see what I can research in between doing a major redecorating project at home.

Routers/Modems are actually very easy to configure and to port forward, so don't be intimidated by any of it, there is plenty of help all around. :wink:
sunnyd

Postby loninappleton » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:00 pm

Erm, how do I send a private message on here?

You are redecorating. I baked a cake. the day is just about shot. :D

I went back to my notes and I found the login they gave me. Still, I won't fool with this unless they say ok. I have to protect my service. This one I've been on for maybe 15 years. Some time in the 90's anyway. They keep their price low-- rarely an increase.

Now how to send a PM on here?
loninappleton

Postby MrFredPFL » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:07 pm

look on the right, in the section with the user names, joined dates, avatars, etc. see a PM button beneath that stuff? if not, click on a user's name or avatar, and that will take you to their profile page. on the left side, there should be a contact section, with a private message link.
MrFredPFL

Postby loninappleton » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:30 pm

Got it.

Just not used to using all the features.
loninappleton

Postby loninappleton » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:58 pm

http://my.ruralnetwork.net/tech/setup/d ... _setup.htm

This is very easy to understand and has all the info needed to open up the Zoom setup screens.

There is a setting that is different though than what I was given. I do not know if the pdf manual you provided goes into this.

Everything seems totally reversible. I don't know why the provider is making a big secret out of this. But I know the 'tree house mentality' where they like to maintain the idea of "no user serviceable parts within" like they used to put on tv sets.
loninappleton

Next

Return to Tech/Hardware Discussion