Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Install old hard drive

This is the forum to discuss tech-hardware related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Install old hard drive

Postby leyton » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:53 am

Hi can any one help me,someone gave me a computer with vista on the hard drive(150 gig)
what i was woundering is can i take out the hard drive from the vista computer and put it in my XP computer,so ive got two hard drives the 150 for back up, if so how would i do this,do i need to boot up the vista com and delet or reformat the hard drive then put in my Xp com.The xp computer i use the hard drive is only 70 gig :o( it might be a simply thing to do but for the life of me i just cant get my head around it any help
please i can install new drives that parts easy
There's nothing that cant be done if we raise our voice as one.chronicles of history evil corporates and their deceptions will never succeed

laughs at men at work signs. Women work everyday, and don't need a sign.. but men need to let everyone know what they are doing.
leyton

Re: Install old hard drive

Postby HouseCrowd » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:41 am

If you don't need anything that's on the drive from the Vista machine, just install it and reformat it on the XP machine.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby IneptVagrant » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:44 am

move the drive, ensure bios is using the correct drive for 1st boot option (after cd rom/floopy if u have them)

Run diskmgmt.msc, delete all partition/logical drives on the "new/added" drive, and then add a new partition
IneptVagrant

Location: close the world . . . . . . . . . . . . . . txEn eht nepO

Postby leyton » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:31 am

So ok i can take out the 150 hard drive then i wire up the drive in my xp,then boot computer up has normaly and then run
diskmgmt.msc and follow what is says ok ill give that a try thanks you both
There's nothing that cant be done if we raise our voice as one.chronicles of history evil corporates and their deceptions will never succeed

laughs at men at work signs. Women work everyday, and don't need a sign.. but men need to let everyone know what they are doing.
leyton

Return to Tech/Hardware Discussion