Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

playstation 3 dvi to hdmi to gfx card

This is the forum to discuss tech-hardware related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

playstation 3 dvi to hdmi to gfx card

Postby Captain America » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:27 pm

I'm thinking about getting a ps3 for Christmas, however I don't have a hdtv and my monitor does not have a hdmi input. However, my gfx card (geforce 260gtx core 216) supports hdmi (using convert dvi to hdmi). My question is can I hook up the playstation 3 to my graphics card (using the converter) and then have a regular vga hook up to my monitor (which I believe supports HDCP *AcerX243W). Would I be able to switch displays, or would I need to use the dvi to hdmi converter on my monitor (directly into the ps3)?

Thanks in advance.
My Machine:Intel I7 @ 2.7ghz| MSI X58 Platinum SLI Socket 1366 ATX Motherboard MS-7522| 2x Hitachi 500gig internal| Geforce gtx 260 core 216|SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio 7.1 2x| dvd lightscribe|Vista 64bit
Captain America

Re: playstation 3 dvi to hdmi to gfx card

Postby GrymRpr » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:35 pm

I *May* be wrong here but:
As far as *I* know... Those are Video Outputs on the Card.. Not Inputs So, No You can't plug in your PS3.
SlyckNick: wrote:
I abhor what slonceck and suprnova have now become.

The Worst thing to happen to any O.S.?
The GUI!
GrymRpr

Re: playstation 3 dvi to hdmi to gfx card

Postby IneptVagrant » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:18 am

You can connect the ps3 to your monitor (using an hdmi-to-dvi converter, ie if you plug fits it will work) since your monitor does suppor HDCP.

You can not connect the ps3 to your video card, unless you have video input like an all-in-wonder card.

If you connect both your pc and your ps3 to your monitor, the monitor either auto selects the digital input, or you can specify in the on-screen display options somewhere. And you'll still have to have separate lines for your sound.
IneptVagrant

Location: close the world . . . . . . . . . . . . . . txEn eht nepO

Return to Tech/Hardware Discussion