Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Laptop Screen Getting gittery and dislocated

This is the forum to discuss tech-hardware related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Laptop Screen Getting gittery and dislocated

Postby SlyckTom » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:49 am

Hmmm...what do I mean by that? Well my 3 or 4 year old Acer Aspire 5100 laptop screen is starting to go bad I think - maybe some others are having a similar experience. Every once and a while the image on the screen with shift to the right a few inches, and although the screen is still readable, it becomes fuzzy and a bit discolored.

This started about 3 months ago. It was infrequent at first, but has become progressively worse - maybe once every other day now. If I make a screen shot, it looks normal. I took a couple of pictures which will hopefully illustrate what I mean. Oh - and if I tap the sides, it goes back to normal....

That's the upper right of the screen...notice the image is about an inch or so from where it's supposed to be. Also note the distortion.

The discoloration is noticeable as well.

Another shot of the upper right.
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Re: Laptop Screen Getting gittery and dislocated

Postby Fartingbob » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:54 am

My phone recently had the same problem. lines across the screen would distort while other parts would be fine, in an apparent randomness and the screen would also occasionally appear to have moved to the left by a tiny amount. I figured it was just the connection to the screen (slidy phone that i had dropped at least 5,000 times, so i figured that one of those times had knocked something loose). I got a new phone and opened the old one up to have a peak at its shitty 2005 budget-phone innards.
And guess what? I found nothing wrong physically. Sometimes delicate things like LCD screens just start misbehaving and the easiest way to fix it is to drop it out of a 2nd story window and get a new one.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby SlyckTom » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:02 pm

Sometimes delicate things like LCD screens just start misbehaving and the easiest way to fix it is to drop it out of a 2nd story window and get a new one.

Hehe...well the processor and computer part is still good! I think if I connected a monitor to the VGA connector - despite this issue, it would work fine. There must be some kind of connection issue...since whenever I smack the screen it rights itself.
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Postby HouseCrowd » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:12 pm

I'd agree, it's a connection problem, without a doubt.

There's usually a ribbon cable that connects from the motherboard to the screen via one of the hinges. Most likely that's broken and/or there's a problem with one of the connectors at either end. My guess would be the ribbon cable - They usually fail eventually from the strain they're put under each time the laptop is opened/closed. You need to strip it down and (with the power on) carefully wiggle the cable and connectors, while watching the screen, to confirm exactly where the fault lies.

I bought practically the same model (a 5103 to be precise) about the same time you bought that one, if you remember. I haven't experienced that problem (yet!), but I have had the hinge supports crumble and break away due to the stiffness of the hinge mechanism and the flimsiness of the fixings. The mechanism is currently holding together with a lot of hope and a fair amount of glue!

SlyckTom wrote:I think if I connected a monitor to the VGA connector - despite this issue, it would work fine.

It would do, yes. That's certainly one easy solution.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby Paladwyn » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:38 pm

I agree with HC, I've seen a problem similar to this and the fix was me spending 2 hours soldering wires from an old IDE cable in replace of the strands that were frayed.

On the next laptop, I couldn't see the breaks in the connection, any repair parts were going to cost 100 bucks, and the person didn't think it was worth it.
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Postby povinho » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:13 am

Last time I had a problem like that, i had the cables that connect to the AC adapter wrapped around it for a couple of days.

this caused a magnetic field and distorted everything on the laptop screen. So my advice is, check the wires.
povinho

Return to Tech/Hardware Discussion