Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

A Qestion---New DVD recorders and HDTV Broadcasts

This is the forum to discuss tech-hardware related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

A Qestion---New DVD recorders and HDTV Broadcasts

Postby luxor500 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:03 am

I've noticed that almost all of the DVD recorders in the electronic stores are tunerless. I assume this is in advance of Feb. 2009 when all broadcasts go HD. We will need either a cable or satellite box to get the new stations or a new digital converter box in order to get the new stations over the air.
I was probably asleep when the decision was made --- will there be broadcast flags preventing consumers from recording HDTV content on DVD recorders? I know there was a big discussion between the electronics industry, broadcasters and Hollywood as to whether certain kinds of content could be made copy-proof. What was the final decision on this? Don't want to invest in a recorder that will only work on some content some of the time.

---luxor500---
"If man can not solve this problem - I can..." Colossus
luxor500

Re: A Qestion---New DVD recorders and HDTV Broadcasts

Postby Paladwyn » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:09 am

They can broadcast no-copy flags..which is what happened a couple of times with...NBC I think, not allowing the content to be played under Vista...

So, they CAN broadcast these flags, not allwing the content to be recorded - which is utter bullshit in the end. If you can watch it, you damn well should be able to record it and watch it later.

With the migration towards digital, there is just no need for tuners anymore.
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Postby luxor500 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:43 am

Thanks for the quick reply. As far as I'm concerned Vista is not part of my media mix. I just want to be sure that I can record some stuff and play it back on the same - or similar device. As an example - I'd be pissed if I try to record next year's grammies and find my disc is blank.

---luxor500---
luxor500

Postby Inksaver » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:56 pm

DVD Recorders are useless for HD content. I recorded a 2hr HD broadcast in h.264 .ts format from satellite, and it took up 17GB. You need HDD recorders simply to cope with the size of the files.
Inksaver

Postby luxor500 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:05 pm

Please forgive my abysmal ignorance. But most of the recorders I've seen say they are HDMI Compliant. Doesn't that mean they can record HD content? If they can I assume you've got to buy some special discs to hold that amount of data. If they can't - who is going to buy them?

---luxor500---
luxor500

Postby Fartingbob » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:11 pm

You can buy blu-ray writable discs and recorders but they are still pointlessly expensive. By far the best option is to buy a HDD based recorder that supports HDTV. Id recommend at least 160GB versions for HD usage.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby Inksaver » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:00 pm

The whole point of HDMI is so you CANT copy from it. The only hardware capable of capturing HiDef content is via component cables, e.g. http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html, which of course is analogue. There are a small number of HDMI to component converters available, but these are probably illegal in the US, as they appear to the HDMI output as HDCP compliant, but then convert the signal to analogue, which can then be copied , so I am sure DMCA or similar would prohibit it. 8)
Inksaver

Postby luxor500 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:58 pm

I do appreciate the advice. If I understand correctly only a blueray recorder will do the job (since toshiba lost the HD battle) of recording HD content. All the other so-called HDMI compliant recorders will be pretty useless after Feb. 2009?
Have I got it right?

---luxor500--- :?
luxor500

Postby penguin15793 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:00 pm

a little off topic, but i plan on setting up a media center for hd videos (not broadcasts) i'm setting up a computer to auto-download off usenet using rss feeds, and then streaming it to this device

www.popcornhour.com

i know you want to record hd broadcasts, but for everything else other than live shows you said..the grammies, we all know everything else is on the internet as well (and in hd), and this is a pretty cheap solution :toast:
penguin15793

Postby IneptVagrant » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:31 am

You don't really understand correctly, and the post on this thread fail to explain whats really occurring.

First of all, understand, broadcast is NOT going "HD". They are going all digital - standard resolution in digital. Most stations are already broadcasting in digital. This 2009 transition is not as big a deal as some ppl hype it. Reminds me of the 2000 hype, and the next day everything was fine.

DVD is lower res than HD-TV. In fact, if I had to define "HD" I would say it means anything greater than DVD quality. The buzz word is used alot, and means alot of different things in different context. If you want to record HD-TV and keep the "HD" part of it, you need to get some kind of HD recorder, ie blue-ray or a PC. In which case, at Fartingbob said, an HDD recorder is your best bet right now, runs 250-300$ USD.

You can still record using a DVD recorder, the resolution will just be lowered to DVD quality (which sounds like isn't a problem for you, do you even have an HD-TV?).

A tuner-less DVD recorder, requires a set-top box with video/audio out. AKA, cable box, satellite box, or broadcast receiver (rabbit ears). (or a TV with video/audio out, which are not common) If you have any of those, than a "tuner-less" will do what you want/expect from it. Other wise look for a DVD recorder with an ATSC Tuner
IneptVagrant

Location: close the world . . . . . . . . . . . . . . txEn eht nepO

Postby luxor500 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:54 am

Well you're hardly inept Mr. Vagrant. Thanks a lot. Just pound me on the head a couple of times and it starts to sink in. :toast:
luxor500

Return to Tech/Hardware Discussion