Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

newbie needs help port forwarding

This is the forum to discuss tech-hardware related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

newbie needs help port forwarding

Postby Ronnie B. » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:09 am

hi,i have a port(or ports)closed that is adversly affecting both soulseek and utorrent.soulseek isn't working properly,so i used their test router setting option to test it and sure enough the port is blocked.in utorrent,the icon at the bottom stays yellow and never goes green.i've been reading up on port forwarding and THINK i'm learning more,hopefully.what i need to know is how do i find out the ip address of my router?i know the ip address of my computer,but IF i'm understanding what i've been reading the computer ip and the router's ip address are two different things.if so,how do i find out my router's ip?i'm running vista sp1 if that's any help.thanks in advance.
Ronnie B.

Re: newbie needs help port forwarding

Postby Paladwyn » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:13 am

Easiest way to find your router's IP, either look in the manual, or on your computer goto your command prompt "Start > Run > cmd"

then type in IPCONFIG

It should give you a list of stuff, and in there somewhere should be "Gateway" with the numbers behind. THat is the IP for your router. Usually it's "192.168.0.1" OR "192.168.1.1".
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Postby MrFredPFL » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:54 pm

if you haven't already been there, check out www.portforward.com
MrFredPFL

Postby Paladwyn » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:33 pm

MrFredPFL wrote:if you haven't already been there, check out http://www.portforward.com

Damn, forgot to mention that site. I was impressed that they have DD-WRT in there, not specifically for my router...but I don't think the software changes that much between routers.
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Return to Tech/Hardware Discussion