Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Great deal or too good to be true?

This is the forum to discuss tech-hardware related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Great deal or too good to be true?

Postby HEAT84 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:02 pm

I'm looking to buy Ps2 cable extensions. I expected to pay 5-10 dollars for 1. At RadioShack they're 17.99. Online they're anywhere from that down to a dollar. Google checkout

1. Why would a Ps2 extension cable cost more than 10 dollars? [sarcasm]Does it have Platinum wire or something?[/sarcasm]

2. Why is there such big price range for it?

3.This site is selling them for $1.91 a piece and only $5.87 to ship 2 of them. Is that a great deal or too good to be true?
[Under Construction]
HEAT84
Official Slyck Conspiracy Nut

Re: Great deal or too good to be true?

Postby Downloader » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:22 am

Sony think having the name "Sony" on a product is worth a huge markup. Generic stuff as a rule is exactly the same just cheaper. (just remember there are exceptions to all rules and the cheap stuff can occasionally run you into trouble. )
SwordOfZork wrote:Just because you CAN sue someone, doesn't mean you're not a total douche for doing so.
Downloader

Postby HEAT84 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:42 am

TRIPP LITE isn't generic is it? Generic means store brand. Its definitely obscure but not generic I don't think. Yeah, I forgot about the big brands making you pay for their name.
[Under Construction]
HEAT84

Postby Downloader » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:49 am

When it comes to sony I'm pretty sure anything branded other than sony is "generic". I could be wrong though, it has happened before. :lol:
SwordOfZork wrote:Just because you CAN sue someone, doesn't mean you're not a total douche for doing so.
Downloader

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:07 pm

tripp lite is a respected brand, heat. i would not call them generic. the PC i am using here is plugged into a tripp lite isobar surge suppressor.
MrFredPFL

Postby shevaberg » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:31 pm

Off topic but a consumer watchdog goup testing HDMI cable from different sources... and found the 5.00 dollar one preformed the sames as the MONSTER one for 100.00

My 2 cents would be a ps2 extender cable should only be about 2 bucks.. copper wire is copper wire...
Sarcasm...not to be used on stupid people....
shevaberg

Postby Paladwyn » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:01 pm

Chances are your cable you can buy from a store is going to be horribly overpriced.

Camera cables, USB printer cables...all overpriced. When I had the store, I would sell USB Printer cables for 5 bucks each, they cost me $2...Staples sells them for $30. Sometimes they claim they are 'gold plated' so they can drive the cost up, but gold plating doesn't help really at all...I've seen the connection results, gold plating is pointless.

Cord to hook phone to computer, 2 bucks off eBay, $90 in Radioshack...hmm...

Buy your cheapest ones...don't let them rape you over it.
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Postby HEAT84 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:15 pm

MrFredPFL wrote:tripp lite is a respected brand, heat. i would not call them generic. the PC i am using here is plugged into a tripp lite isobar surge suppressor.

Oh, Ok. I've never heard of them. And I never thought it was generic.

I'm gonna do it. The worst that could happen is I'm out 6 bucks. Actually the worst that could happen is they could do who knows what with my credit card info but I don't think thats gonna happen. If its listed on Google's checkout page its a trustworthy site right?

Edit: What does Preosoric mean? Dictionary.com doesn't know and the only 2 places Google finds the word is here. Well its gonna be 3 places now.
[Under Construction]
HEAT84

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:21 pm

i didn't know they made cables. their main business is power conditioning - but i wouldn't hesitate to buy a cable from them :)

as for the site - good question. i wonder how carefully google screens this stuff. anyone know?
MrFredPFL

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:28 pm

HEAT84 wrote:Edit: What does Preosoric mean? Dictionary.com doesn't know and the only 2 places Google finds the word is here. Well its gonna be 3 places now.

read and learn :D
MrFredPFL

Postby jb » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:32 pm

A place to get good, cheap cables: monoprice.com

Good product, good price, no problems. I have purchased several items from them. Just my suggestion.
jb

Postby thejynxed » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:07 am

I usually purchase cabling from Deep Surplus.
thejynxed

Postby Psisquared » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:27 am

The Cat5e cables I got for the lab are Tripp Lite. The network works, no complaints here.
The quick brown fox jumps over a lazy dog.
Psisquared

Location: Impossible to ascertain due to uncertainty principle

Postby Curmudgeon » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:24 pm

The USB to serial that I use at work is a Trip-lite,works fine once you get the right driver.
The $40 one from Radio shack is complete shit,wont work with XP.
Curmudgeon

Postby ejonesss » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:27 pm

1. sony and PSx and playstation is a registered trademark of sony and when a product bears that name sony gets a cut of the licensing and royalty fees. (generics may be cheaper because they dont have the name on it chinese knock offs or counterfeits may have the name on it but may be crappy because the quality standards are not as good).

2. copper prices have you seen them lately? most wire used in electronics are copper despite that they are not copper colored (generics may use less copper even as little as 1 strand of wire with thread for re enforcement chinese knock offs or counterfeits may use low quality copper).

3.good makers like belkin and griffin use higher quality materials thicker wire,thicker crimping of the plug hood to the wire, individually shielded wires, and even oxygen free copper ). but you will pay more for the better names.
…-..-..-..-..-.-----.-…-..-…-..-…-...
ejonesss

Postby MrFredPFL » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:36 pm

1. there is nothing wrong with tripp lite cables, as already attested by people in this thread.

2. do you even understand what he means when he says a ps2 cable? i guess the answer to that is no. ;)
MrFredPFL

Return to Tech/Hardware Discussion