Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Make Linux Live CD's work with my add-on controller

This is the forum to discuss tech-hardware related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Make Linux Live CD's work with my add-on controller

Postby HEAT84 » Tue May 20, 2008 5:33 am

My new motherboard only has 1 IDE controller so I had to buy an add on controller. I have my 2 HD's connected to the Motherboard's controller and the 2 disc drives connected to the add-on controller. Even though the CD boots just fine, the live CD won't mount. This is a known problem but nobody has a solution for it except enabling AHCI. My BIOS doesn't seem to have that. Its a RAID controller but I don't think the RAID part has anything to do with it.

With PCLinuxOS it says "Searching for loop image" then "Dropping you to a limited shell".
With Fedora it asks for a driver for the controller and the one I have isn't in the list so I can't go any further.

I guess I could try switching controllers as a last resort, but I really didn't want to open my PC.

Exactly why is this happening anyway? If the CD boots then why is there trouble mounting the LiveCD? :?
[Under Construction]
HEAT84
Official Slyck Conspiracy Nut

Re: Make Linux Live CD's work with my add-on controller

Postby IneptVagrant » Tue May 20, 2008 7:51 am

Cd booting is handled by the BIOS. The CD then has to load a driver for the add-on card, or the OS won't be able to read from the CD to load itself.

You'll either need the driver on a separate disk, usually 3 1/2. Or embed the driver to the live CD before you burn it. Or rearrange the IDE connections so you have 1 optical drive connected to the on-board IDE, which is the eziest solution.

Just to be clear, I've assumed you ment the add-on card is also a RAID controller, and you aren't confusing the add-on card with the on-board RAID+SATA
IneptVagrant

Location: close the world . . . . . . . . . . . . . . txEn eht nepO

Re: Make Linux Live CD's work with my add-on controller

Postby HEAT84 » Thu May 22, 2008 5:30 am

I bought the card for the IDE(I guess the call it PATA now) controller not the RAID. Maybe one day I'll use the RAID.

I downloaded Fedora 9 and it booted and loaded the LiveCD no problem. :) I was using the Fedora 5 DVD that came with my textbook before. Its older than the card.
[Under Construction]
HEAT84
Official Slyck Conspiracy Nut

Return to Tech/Hardware Discussion