Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

windows boot up problems

This is the forum to discuss tech-hardware related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

windows boot up problems

Postby tehdoomsayer » Tue May 13, 2008 6:16 pm

when i restart my computer it just hangs after the post screen instead of booting into windows. after a few restarts it will go, but i get random lock ups and crashes, no BSOD. but, if i start my computer with f8 and select the hdd with windows on it i have no problems and no lock ups what-so-ever. anyone have any insight?
tehdoomsayer

Re: windows boot up problems

Postby anonomously2 » Tue May 13, 2008 6:59 pm

This is usually caused by a Memory-stick starting to go bad or the bios starting to fail. That would be to say that you have not added or changed any Hardware. If you've change or added new or different hardware, you may have to start there as this could have caused a hardware conflict.
anonomously2

Postby Curmudgeon » Thu May 15, 2008 4:48 pm

What OS?
Assuming XP ,click my computer,r-click c drive>properties>tools tab>error checking. Tick both box's.
ok,ok,re-boot.
You will probably need to do the F8 thing to re-boot and let check disk scan your system.
Curmudgeon

Postby Paladwyn » Thu May 15, 2008 6:38 pm

I would go with anonomously2 on this partly.

It could be ram, or it could be hard drive. It could also be related to heat - so to keep things simple...make sure all your fans are turning, and turning fast. If there is a temperature guage somewhere, make sure the CPU temp is at a reasonable level. If it's above 50 degrees C (whatever that is in F) it's possible it's too hot.

Do a file check (error checking) on the hard drive. If there is a file system error, weird things can happen. If the dirve is going bad and has bad sectors on it, ditto.

If all that seems to be ok, then check ram. If you have more than 1 stick..start elimination. Pull a stick out, see how it goes. Switch around, see how it goes.

Keep us posted :)
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Postby thejynxed » Sat May 17, 2008 7:57 pm

External drives also cause this issue, if there is a loose USB connection.
"FlickR is supposed to be weird, fun, experimental, way out-there -- oh no, wait, now that it's so close to being part of Microsoft, FlickR's supposed to bore people to death and empty their pockets while pretending to innovate." - Bruce Sterling
thejynxed

Return to Tech/Hardware Discussion