Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Infrared Remote Control for PC

This is the forum to discuss tech-hardware related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Infrared Remote Control for PC

Postby borisborkem » Thu May 01, 2008 6:19 pm

I need some help, please.

I am looking to get some sort of remote control like one uses with the television and get it working on my PC so I can get basic video controls (volume, stop, play, etc.). There seem to be a few products out there, someone suggested the Microsoft Media Centre Remote, but they also said you needed Media Centre to use it, and I would prefer to stick with Videolan. There are also some instructions on how to make your own, but I think it's above my head. I'm just looking for a simple remote that has a reciever that plugs into a USB port. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.
borisborkem

Re: Infrared Remote Control for PC

Postby Toasty » Thu May 01, 2008 7:01 pm

There's a site that the MythTV documentation linked to that may work out for you. The receiver they sell hooks up to the serial port, not USB, but as long as you have a serial port (I think most motherboards still do) and it's not in use, I don't think that's a problem. A little poking around in LIRC (or WinLIRC if you're running Windows) and that should be all there is to getting it up and running. Our TV capture card ended up coming with its own IR receiver, so I never needed to buy one separately. Hence, I can't personally vouch for the receivers on that site, but I probably would have tried one of theirs if we ended up needing one.
Toasty

Postby borisborkem » Thu May 01, 2008 7:15 pm

Thanks, will check it out.
borisborkem

Postby Golgo1 » Thu May 01, 2008 9:41 pm

I love my ATI Remote Wonder, it's not even InfraRed, it's RF, so you dont have to point at the TV, dont even have to be in the same room. If youre listening to music upstairs and want to change the song, just click next and it'll go :)

The receiver is USB and all software is available online. Also has a bunch of shortcut buttons to make it easier to drive the mouse and do basic windows stuff.
Am I the ONLY one who remembers that video KILLED the radio star?
There are two kinds of people in this world: people who can extrapolate from incomplete data
Golgo1

Return to Tech/Hardware Discussion